Re: [sig] Re: fabric predicament... long

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
      > Most rose brocades today use the really full, multiple-layers of
      > petals roses. Those roses are not period. Yes, centifolia roses are
      > period, and if you can find a brocade with them on it, I don't see any
      > reason why you couldn't use it. Just don't use the drapery brocades
      > with asymmetrical bouquets of cabbage roses....

      Oops. The centifolia ('hundred-petalled') aka cabbage roses were once
      thought to be the roses mentioned by a greek author, but many rose experts
      now believe that the centifolia roses were developed in the early 17th
      century. ("Sacred Iron Posies" in the Florilegium puts the date at the end
      of the 16th century.)

    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
        This fabric doesn't have roses on it. I actually
        haven't looked at it that much because I'm busy with
        the red velveteen, and thank goodness that worked out
        OK. I need some heavy stuff for colder weather and the
        gold stuff is pretty light, good for a Meridian spring
        or fall but a bit much for summer. As a waterbearer I
        like to be practical with my garb as long as I'm not
        breaking the rules. No pink sequin trim for me. :-) I
        have a mundane pink sequined thingie and it's an
        atrocity. :-)

        Isabelle

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Jenn Ridley
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
          On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:27:16 -0400 (EDT), Jenne Heise
          <jenne@...> wrote:

          >> Most rose brocades today use the really full, multiple-layers of
          >> petals roses. Those roses are not period. Yes, centifolia roses are
          >> period, and if you can find a brocade with them on it, I don't see any
          >> reason why you couldn't use it. Just don't use the drapery brocades
          >> with asymmetrical bouquets of cabbage roses....
          >
          >Oops. The centifolia ('hundred-petalled') aka cabbage roses were once

          Ooops. You're right. I read it as quadrafolia (four petal). My bad.

          Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)

          stasia
          --
          Jenn Ridley
          jridley@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
            > Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)

            Not all period roses were flat-petaled, by the way: there were double
            gallicas, and gallicas themselves aren't merely the heraldic roses.

          • Jenn Ridley
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 11, 2001
              On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:16:15 -0400 (EDT), Jenne Heise
              <jenne@...> wrote:

              >> Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)
              >
              >Not all period roses were flat-petaled, by the way: there were double
              >gallicas, and gallicas themselves aren't merely the heraldic roses.

              True, but did any of them ever show up on brocades? I was under the
              impression (perhaps mistaken) that rose brocades in period were flat
              roses.....

              stasia
              --
              Anastasia Ivgenova
              jridley@...
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 14, 2001
                Re offer below, yes please. Can anyone recommend an article or book
                that is sort of a 'survey of fabric types available in the 15-17th C
                for dummys' ?

                Also, what is the meaning of your reference to 'Polish fabric
                merchant'
                -Rick