Re: [sig] Re: fabric predicament... long

  • Jenn Ridley
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2001
      On Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:24:33 -0400 (EDT), Jenne Heise
      <jenne@...> wrote:

      >> Brocade is period.... depending on the design in the fabric. Modern roses
      >> are "out".
      >
      >Question: why, specifically? Centifolia roses are period as roses; are
      >they simply to hard a pattern to brocade? I guess if we have no period
      >examples that's good enough to show they weren't depicted in brocade
      >though.

      Most rose brocades today use the really full, multiple-layers of
      petals roses. Those roses are not period. Yes, centifolia roses are
      period, and if you can find a brocade with them on it, I don't see any
      reason why you couldn't use it. Just don't use the drapery brocades
      with asymmetrical bouquets of cabbage roses....

      stasia
      --
      Anastasia Ivgenova
      jridley@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
        > Most rose brocades today use the really full, multiple-layers of
        > petals roses. Those roses are not period. Yes, centifolia roses are
        > period, and if you can find a brocade with them on it, I don't see any
        > reason why you couldn't use it. Just don't use the drapery brocades
        > with asymmetrical bouquets of cabbage roses....

        Oops. The centifolia ('hundred-petalled') aka cabbage roses were once
        thought to be the roses mentioned by a greek author, but many rose experts
        now believe that the centifolia roses were developed in the early 17th
        century. ("Sacred Iron Posies" in the Florilegium puts the date at the end
        of the 16th century.)

      • Patricia Hefner
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
          This fabric doesn't have roses on it. I actually
          haven't looked at it that much because I'm busy with
          the red velveteen, and thank goodness that worked out
          OK. I need some heavy stuff for colder weather and the
          gold stuff is pretty light, good for a Meridian spring
          or fall but a bit much for summer. As a waterbearer I
          like to be practical with my garb as long as I'm not
          breaking the rules. No pink sequin trim for me. :-) I
          have a mundane pink sequined thingie and it's an
          atrocity. :-)

          Isabelle

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Jenn Ridley
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
            On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:27:16 -0400 (EDT), Jenne Heise
            <jenne@...> wrote:

            >> Most rose brocades today use the really full, multiple-layers of
            >> petals roses. Those roses are not period. Yes, centifolia roses are
            >> period, and if you can find a brocade with them on it, I don't see any
            >> reason why you couldn't use it. Just don't use the drapery brocades
            >> with asymmetrical bouquets of cabbage roses....
            >
            >Oops. The centifolia ('hundred-petalled') aka cabbage roses were once

            Ooops. You're right. I read it as quadrafolia (four petal). My bad.

            Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)

            stasia
            --
            Jenn Ridley
            jridley@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
              > Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)

              Not all period roses were flat-petaled, by the way: there were double
              gallicas, and gallicas themselves aren't merely the heraldic roses.

            • Jenn Ridley
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 11, 2001
                On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:16:15 -0400 (EDT), Jenne Heise
                <jenne@...> wrote:

                >> Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)
                >
                >Not all period roses were flat-petaled, by the way: there were double
                >gallicas, and gallicas themselves aren't merely the heraldic roses.

                True, but did any of them ever show up on brocades? I was under the
                impression (perhaps mistaken) that rose brocades in period were flat
                roses.....

                stasia
                --
                Anastasia Ivgenova
                jridley@...
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 14, 2001
                  Re offer below, yes please. Can anyone recommend an article or book
                  that is sort of a 'survey of fabric types available in the 15-17th C
                  for dummys' ?

                  Also, what is the meaning of your reference to 'Polish fabric
                  merchant'
                  -Rick