Re: [sig] Re: fabric predicament... long

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2001
      > Brocade is period.... depending on the design in the fabric. Modern roses
      > are "out".

      Question: why, specifically? Centifolia roses are period as roses; are
      they simply to hard a pattern to brocade? I guess if we have no period
      examples that's good enough to show they weren't depicted in brocade
      though.

    • Jenn Ridley
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2001
        On Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:24:33 -0400 (EDT), Jenne Heise
        <jenne@...> wrote:

        >> Brocade is period.... depending on the design in the fabric. Modern roses
        >> are "out".
        >
        >Question: why, specifically? Centifolia roses are period as roses; are
        >they simply to hard a pattern to brocade? I guess if we have no period
        >examples that's good enough to show they weren't depicted in brocade
        >though.

        Most rose brocades today use the really full, multiple-layers of
        petals roses. Those roses are not period. Yes, centifolia roses are
        period, and if you can find a brocade with them on it, I don't see any
        reason why you couldn't use it. Just don't use the drapery brocades
        with asymmetrical bouquets of cabbage roses....

        stasia
        --
        Anastasia Ivgenova
        jridley@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
          > Most rose brocades today use the really full, multiple-layers of
          > petals roses. Those roses are not period. Yes, centifolia roses are
          > period, and if you can find a brocade with them on it, I don't see any
          > reason why you couldn't use it. Just don't use the drapery brocades
          > with asymmetrical bouquets of cabbage roses....

          Oops. The centifolia ('hundred-petalled') aka cabbage roses were once
          thought to be the roses mentioned by a greek author, but many rose experts
          now believe that the centifolia roses were developed in the early 17th
          century. ("Sacred Iron Posies" in the Florilegium puts the date at the end
          of the 16th century.)

        • Patricia Hefner
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
            This fabric doesn't have roses on it. I actually
            haven't looked at it that much because I'm busy with
            the red velveteen, and thank goodness that worked out
            OK. I need some heavy stuff for colder weather and the
            gold stuff is pretty light, good for a Meridian spring
            or fall but a bit much for summer. As a waterbearer I
            like to be practical with my garb as long as I'm not
            breaking the rules. No pink sequin trim for me. :-) I
            have a mundane pink sequined thingie and it's an
            atrocity. :-)

            Isabelle

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Jenn Ridley
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
              On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:27:16 -0400 (EDT), Jenne Heise
              <jenne@...> wrote:

              >> Most rose brocades today use the really full, multiple-layers of
              >> petals roses. Those roses are not period. Yes, centifolia roses are
              >> period, and if you can find a brocade with them on it, I don't see any
              >> reason why you couldn't use it. Just don't use the drapery brocades
              >> with asymmetrical bouquets of cabbage roses....
              >
              >Oops. The centifolia ('hundred-petalled') aka cabbage roses were once

              Ooops. You're right. I read it as quadrafolia (four petal). My bad.

              Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)

              stasia
              --
              Jenn Ridley
              jridley@...
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
                > Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)

                Not all period roses were flat-petaled, by the way: there were double
                gallicas, and gallicas themselves aren't merely the heraldic roses.

              • Jenn Ridley
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 11, 2001
                  On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:16:15 -0400 (EDT), Jenne Heise
                  <jenne@...> wrote:

                  >> Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)
                  >
                  >Not all period roses were flat-petaled, by the way: there were double
                  >gallicas, and gallicas themselves aren't merely the heraldic roses.

                  True, but did any of them ever show up on brocades? I was under the
                  impression (perhaps mistaken) that rose brocades in period were flat
                  roses.....

                  stasia
                  --
                  Anastasia Ivgenova
                  jridley@...
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 14, 2001
                    Re offer below, yes please. Can anyone recommend an article or book
                    that is sort of a 'survey of fabric types available in the 15-17th C
                    for dummys' ?

                    Also, what is the meaning of your reference to 'Polish fabric
                    merchant'
                    -Rick