cloth of gold

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2001
      At 04:44 PM 9/7/2001 +0000, you wrote:
      >Is gold
      >fabric period? I hate it that it's just sitting there
      >on the couch. I want to wear that stuff!

      Oh, yeah it's period!

      http://webnz.com/forest/Medieval/articles/garments/Margrethe/Margrethe.html

      for an article on Queen Margerethe's Golden Gown, also known as the Uppsala
      Gown. The queen was Danish and died in 1412.

      From the online learingin encyclopedia:

      cloth of gold, fabric woven wholly or partly of gold threads. From remote
      times gold has been used as material for weaving either alone or with other
      fibers. In India tapestries were made from gold threads as fine as silk.
      Cloth of gold was woven on Byzantine looms from the 7th to the 9th cent.
      and on those of Sicily, Cyprus, Lucca, and Venice in the 10th cent. Some
      narrow webs were woven in England, as well as palls of gold and silver
      cloth. Cloths of estate were magnificent gold tissues used to canopy or
      cover thrones. Baldachin, or fine cloth with gold warp and silk weft, was
      used ceremonially and also for rich clothing. The use of gold textiles and
      embroideries in the Middle Ages is illustrated by the pageantry at the
      meeting of the Field of the Cloth of Gold (1520). Gold thread for weaving
      and embroidery is still made in India, Delhi alone producing many miles per
      annum, working in the ancient manner. Gold or silver gilt wire is drawn
      through holes, successively smaller, in a specially devised metal plate,
      and is used either round or flattened. Modern metallic cloth, known as
      lamé, is commonly made of a core yarn wound with a thin metal thread, or
      lamé. Various artificial metallic cloths are also produced.

      Someone on ebay recently had a dress made of cloth which was made with
      gold, she said that the fabric cost her $78 per yard. Too bad it was not a
      tremendously accurate piece of clothing - she used metal grommets and we
      won't even begin to talk about the polyester gauze chemise she put with it
      or the polyester gauze train and oversleeves......

      Cu Drag,
      Despina