Pennsic?

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
      So, was there a gathering at Pennsic??

      -- Paul Wickenden
    • Pomestnik Nikulai Ivanovich
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
        There was one scheduled - unfortunately it was against the time of my
        protogeing ceremony so I was unable to attend. - Nikulai

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 30, 2003
          Friends,

          What day and time is the SIG gathering at Pennsic?

          Thanks for letting me know,
          Lidia

          =====
          Visit my India trip photography and Blog at http://lingumyatra.blogspot.com

          "If you want to see the brave, look at those who can forgive." --Bhagavad-Gita

          "Because Thou lovest the burning ground, I have made a burning
          ground of my heart, that Thou, haunter of the burning ground,
          can dance Thy Eternal Dance." --Ramprasad (1718-78)

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 30, 2003
            > What day and time is the SIG gathering at Pennsic?

            Middle Sunday of the war, 6 to 9 pm.

            "History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns
            to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive. It knows the names of the
            king's bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of
            human folly." -- Jean-Henri Fabre
          • Lydia
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 31, 2003
              Drats! I will not be getting there until Monday afternoon, as I have
              to work that Saturday and Sunday.

              Will there be any classes that someone interested in developing a
              Southern Slavic personae (i.e. from Ragusa) might benefit from?

              Thanks again!
              Lidia

              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <jenne@f...> wrote:
              > > What day and time is the SIG gathering at Pennsic?
              >
              > Middle Sunday of the war, 6 to 9 pm.
              >
              > -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne@f...
              > "History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but
              scorns
              > to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive. It knows the names
              of the
              > king's bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the
              way of
              > human folly." -- Jean-Henri Fabre
            • Julie
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 31, 2003
                Lidia, I won't be there until Monday, either, but my Mom is Croatian, and
                one of my garbs will be Dalmatian. I'd love to hobnob with you during the
                War. I'll be in the Carillion encampment, we'll be the ones with the
                Travelers' caravan.

                Margita

                At 02:51 PM 7/31/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                >Drats! I will not be getting there until Monday afternoon, as I have
                >to work that Saturday and Sunday.
                >
                >Will there be any classes that someone interested in developing a
                >Southern Slavic personae (i.e. from Ragusa) might benefit from?
                >
                >Thanks again!
                >Lidia

              • Paul W Goldschmidt
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 22, 2007
                  I haven't heard anything about Pennsic this year. Is there any news
                  of the SIG gathering or other Slavic stuff?

                  -- Paul
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
                    --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:
                    > I haven't heard anything about Pennsic this year.
                    > Is there any news
                    > of the SIG gathering or other Slavic stuff?
                    >
                    > -- Paul

                    The SIG Roundtable, I thought, was fun. We had about
                    10 people. I brought water and pierogies, and had fun
                    feeding people (cookin' in the rain, woo hoo!).

                    One gentleman, who's name I didn't catch, sang us a
                    lovely song, a folk blessing i believe it was, in
                    Ukrainian.

                    Michael of Safia came with extra handouts from his
                    Russian Archeology 101 class. I have a copy, and will
                    see if Michael will let me scan it into our Files.

                    One Micholai, a polish-persona young man from the
                    East, was our "newbie" of the day, and he should be
                    joining the List here soon.

                    In other news, I was delighted with the turnout for my
                    first time teaching at Pennsic. I had over 30 for my
                    Kievan Garb class, and I'm thinking next year I might
                    put together a full Kievan Curricula, since I had far
                    more fun teaching than I did fighting this year
                    (Tuesday! Oy vey!). If anyone here on the list took
                    any of my 3 classes, I'd love some feedback on how I
                    did! Just shoot me a note privately. The Shopping
                    Class was much fun, for the Merchants as well as the
                    students. ArabBoy had no idea that glass bracelets
                    were period for Russia too! And as a note: I recieved
                    NO preference, discounts or anything from the
                    Merchants we visited. I and some others had taken
                    Luceta's class on the folkloric meanings of Ukrainian
                    Embroidery, and we were excited to find trim at
                    Calontir Trim that had the same designs that Luceta
                    taught. I didn't get to anyone else's classes,
                    unfortunately, because of household obligations, but I
                    have Plans for next Pennsic. :D

                    I thought it was a great Pennsic, despite the weather.

                    Cheers,
                    Sfandra Dmitrieva

                    ******************
                    Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
                    Haus Von Drakenklaue
                    Kingdom of the East
                    ******************
                    Never 'pearl' your butt.

                  • Marilyn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
                      Sfandra hosted a very nice discussion group this year. ( Our Thank You's to
                      her!) She even procured some excellent pirougies
                      And cooked them at the meeting! ( In the rain even.) I didn't get an exact
                      count on attendance but around 20 is probably a reasonable guess.

                      Marija

                    • Patoodle@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
                        I'm sorry I missed the SIG meeting this year! I had to go "into town" mundanely to buy dinner supplies for my camp, and when I got back to camp to drop off the purchases, it was already past 3 p.m. and it was raining, and I just needed to chill out for a bit before starting in on my "cooking night."

                        But I did really enjoy Sfandra's Kievan Garb class. Yeah, my persona is Lithuanian and not Rus, but a gal's gotta wear *something*....

                        Also at Pennsic, I spent $70 on a book that I can't read because it's all in Lithuanian (except for 10 pages in Russian and 2 pages in English). But that will have to be a separate post, because I left the book at home and I'm now at work.

                        Best wishes,
                        Lady Patricia of Trakai

                        Sfandra hosted a very nice discussion group this year. ( Our Thank You's to
                        her!) She even procured some excellent pirougies
                        And cooked them at the meeting! ( In the rain even.) I didn't get an exact
                        count on attendance but around 20 is probably a reasonable guess.

                        Marija

                      • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
                          On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 07:17:30AM -0700, Sfandra wrote:
                          > --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:
                          > > I haven't heard anything about Pennsic this year.
                          > > Is there any news
                          > > of the SIG gathering or other Slavic stuff?

                          Many thanks to Sfandra for hosting the gathering this year. It was a
                          great deal of fun!

                        • karen
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
                            I had the pleasure of catching Sfandra's kievan garb class, which I
                            must say was wonderful! Sadly I couldn't get out of camp for the
                            meeting. Many thanks to Sfandra for all of her hard work!

                            Kashka
                          • Gloryanna MacKee
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 24, 2007
                              I regret I wasn't able to make it to any of the classes or the meeting, My
                              babysitting duties kept me away from the classes and then for them meeting,
                              I was busy packing so we could leave the next day.

                              They only class I was able to make was a 16th Century Ottoman Embroidery
                              class, which I loved. Learned to sew with Silk and Gold thread...

                              Though it rained a lot, I really did enjoy pennsic, it was a break from the
                              real world and when I went back into it, and had to stop at a gas station
                              where all the alarms were going off, people talking on speakers, music
                              blaring, I wanted to turn around and go back to the continual drums and the
                              constant mud.

                              Gloryanna

                              >From: "karen" <kievanlady@...>
                              >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: [sig] Re: Pennsic?
                              >Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 02:54:05 -0000
                              >
                              >I had the pleasure of catching Sfandra's kievan garb class, which I
                              >must say was wonderful! Sadly I couldn't get out of camp for the
                              >meeting. Many thanks to Sfandra for all of her hard work!
                              >
                              >Kashka

                              Puzzles, trivia teasers, word scrambles and more. Play for your chance to
                              win! http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink
                            • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 24, 2007
                                Sfandra's Pierogi's were yummy!

                                I handed out a bunch of flyers for the Slavic University -
                                http://www.midrealm.org/talonvale/sigslum.html.

                                I still need more teachers!
                                --
                                Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                                "Most people live their lives as if they had another one in the bank" - Ben

                                Servant of His Majesty Sir Dag Thorgrimsson and Master Mordok Rostovskogo

                              • Paul W Goldschmidt
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 1, 2011
                                  I'm starting to put together the Fall Slovo and realizing that I have
                                  nothing at all about Pennsic in it. Was there a gathering? Does
                                  anyone have pictures? Does anyone want to write a brief about it?

                                  -- Paul
                                • Pavel
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 9, 2011
                                    Yea, dunno, heard one was planned, but I was only there mid war week this year and it was on Monday.

                                    btw, and this would be to the whole sig list, what are all the slavic households that do show up pennsics, or sca events. I have heard of the slavic village, but am wondering if there are any others.

                                    Thanks,
                                    pawel/jarnhauss

                                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

                                    > I'm starting to put together the Fall Slovo and realizing that I have
                                    > nothing at all about Pennsic in it. Was there a gathering? Does
                                    > anyone have pictures? Does anyone want to write a brief about it?
                                    >
                                    > -- Paul

                                  • goldschp tds.net
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 10 3:41 PM
                                      Any word about a gathering at Pennsic this year?

                                      Paul