Book on Icons

  • Dmitriy V Ryaboy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2001
      A couple of people asked me about icons at Pennsic -- the books in English
      I've come across are:

      Hamilton, George. "Art and Architecture of Russia" , Yale University Press.
      (get the latest edition -- 1983, I believe). Lots of black-and-white photos
      & reproductions, and the first half of the book deals with pre-1700s.

      Avinoff, A. Russian Icons and Objects of Ecclesiastical and Decorative Arts

      Kondakov, "The Russian Icon" -- it's an abbreviated translation of a
      4-volume work, but what the hey.. hard to find.

      Hope this helps

      -Dmitriy