Re: [sig] Russian embroidery

  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2001
      In a message dated 8/21/2001 11:52:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      tamfogle@... writes:

      > Do you know what needlework technique was used most commonly on the
      > sleeves of dresses late period? From the pictures I've studied, it
      > looks either like Assisi or blackwork, but I can not tell for certain.
      > Plus, my reading tells me that Assisi was used most often for practical
      > items such as pillows, banners and such, not for clothing.

      I am sorry, I am not going to be very helpful to you, but you hope you can
      help me -- what pictures, please? I am not aware of any pictures of actual
      late-period embroidered sleeves, only post-period pictures. I know of just a
      couple of surviving secular embroideries from late-period Russia, all of
      which are embroidered with gold and pearls. So, I would greatly appreciate
      any information on your sources.

      Liudmila