Re: [sig] Polish At Pennsic

  • Diane Sawyer
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
      From: "Mstislav Novgorodskii" <rem@...>
      To: <sig@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 10:27 AM
      Subject: Re: [sig] Polish At Pennsic

      > Diane Sawyer wrote:
      >
      > > If you added them as an attachment, Sergei, you're out of luck; the
      > > list is
      > > set to strip them. If you like, however, you can send them to me
      > > privately
      > > and I can post them to some webspace I have available.
      > >
      > > Tasha
      > > tasha@...
      >
      > Greetings:
      >
      > I was just wondering if you ever received or saw any of the photos of
      > Sergei's winged outfit?

      Sure did and spiffy it is! They can be viewed here:
      http://tasha.htmlplanet.com/hussar.html

      Tasha
      who was very sorry to miss Pennsic!
    • Lord Mstislav Novgorodskii
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
        Greetings to the list:

        Tasha showed us a web page with some shots of Sergei in his "totally
        cool" armor. I've added MY shots of the same stuff from the same
        event (Uprising 2001 in Artemisia) to the "Files" section right here
        at SIG's space in Yahoo Groups. The "other" photographer was sort of
        following me around -- or was it the other way? NO -- I was leading!
        :-}

        Anyway, the pics show Sergei in his wonderful armor -- talk about a
        feather (or three!) in your, um, cap? The main difference between
        these pics and the ones Tasha showed us is close-ups: I've included
        a set of four pics of Sergei mixing it up while wearing this armor,
        with LARGE, SMALLER and SMALLEST file sizes (and, thus, screen
        sizes).

        Have a look at the smallest first, and then, for those of you who
        crave construction details, click on the LARGEST! Enjoy.

        BTW -- Sergei is shown in a barrier battle with spears against
        Artemisia's Crown Prince, HRH Sir Konrad Von Krixen (now His Majesty
        Konrad). The pics are in sequence, with Sergei appearing to get in a
        face shot, then we see the defense by His Highness, and then, alas,
        Sergei takes it on the chin. But his armor did great! (So did
        Sergei, seriously.)

        The link to them is:

        Or just use whatever usual link that takes you to the SIG Yahoo
        Group, and then click on "FILES" in the left menu. Take it from
        there!

        In service,

        Lord Mstislav Novgorodskii,
        Chronicler and Web Minister,
        Kingdom of Artemisia

        P.S. -- As per SCA policy, I DO have waivers from the
        portrayed persons allowing the posting of these pictures on a Society
        web page.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 21, 2001
          Sergei, what did you use for the form on those? Is that Rattan with holes
          drilled in it for the feathers? Also how did you attach it to the backplate
          of your armor?the book on Polish winged armor I have has almost a hinge
          attachement. I love it though, really nifty, I am also curious if any of
          the marshals gave you any flack about it. Betcha it saves you from a few
          wrap shots.

          Tasha showed us a web page with some shots of Sergei in his "totally
          cool" armor. I've added MY shots of the same stuff from the same
          event (Uprising 2001 in Artemisia) to the "Files" section right here
          at SIG's space in Yahoo Groups. The "other" photographer was sort of
          following me around -- or was it the other way? NO -- I was leading!
          :-}

          Anyway, the pics show Sergei in his wonderful armor -- talk about a
          feather (or three!) in your, um, cap? The main difference between
          these pics and the ones Tasha showed us is close-ups: I've included
          a set of four pics of Sergei mixing it up while wearing this armor,
          with LARGE, SMALLER and SMALLEST file sizes (and, thus, screen
          sizes).

          Have a look at the smallest first, and then, for those of you who
          crave construction details, click on the LARGEST! Enjoy.

          BTW -- Sergei is shown in a barrier battle with spears against
          Artemisia's Crown Prince, HRH Sir Konrad Von Krixen (now His Majesty
          Konrad). The pics are in sequence, with Sergei appearing to get in a
          face shot, then we see the defense by His Highness, and then, alas,
          Sergei takes it on the chin. But his armor did great! (So did
          Sergei, seriously.)

          The link to them is:

          Or just use whatever usual link that takes you to the SIG Yahoo
          Group, and then click on "FILES" in the left menu. Take it from
          there!

          In service,

          Lord Mstislav Novgorodskii,
          Chronicler and Web Minister,
          Kingdom of Artemisia

          P.S. -- As per SCA policy, I DO have waivers from the
          portrayed persons allowing the posting of these pictures on a Society
          web page.

          > > I was just wondering if you ever received or saw any of the
          photos
          > > of Sergei's winged outfit?
          >
          > Sure did and spiffy it is! They can be viewed here:
          > http://tasha.htmlplanet.com/hussar.html
          <http://tasha.htmlplanet.com/hussar.html>

          > Tasha
          > who was very sorry to miss Pennsic!

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=211550.1562866.3121829.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17057675
          03:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=211550.1562866.3121829.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=1705767503:HM/A=763352/rand=726269289>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Robert L. Parker
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 22, 2001
            Mark,
            The wings are simply constructed of 1x2 wood with holes drilled and
            wrapped in red duck cloth and brass tack nails. They are attached with
            brass mounts that I had to fashion off the cuff. I saw similar mounts
            with thumbscrews and wing nuts which is what I went with. I didn't have
            the stuff for hinge mounts but considered it. I did get some guff from
            my local marshals about the 1x2 being only 3/4" wide and therefore could
            conceivably go through a grill. I don't fight with the wings yet but am
            going to build a wing that can go safely in to battle. That should be
            neat. (OOH, look at that guy with the wings, let's kill him) I will be
            getting pictures of the mounts soon. I promise and I will send them
            along. Please keep bugging me about it.

            Everyone else on the list,
            Greetings. I had one hell of a time showing off my kit at Pennsic.
            I got some good pics and will post them if someone can direct me to a
            good place to do it. Mstislav?????? Hopefully I will be getting my
            helmet soon. Had to wear the one at Pennsic without padding because it
            was too small. (pinched my head bad) Wore it for the photo ops. Anyone
            else with questions, please ask. That is the main reason I like the
            Polish kit, because people ask and I get to pass on knowledge and spread
            Slavic interest

            In service,
            Pomestnik Sergei
          • Mstislav Novgorodskii
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 22, 2001
              "Robert L. Parker" wrote:

              > Everyone else on the list,
              > Greetings. I had one hell of a time showing off my kit at
              > Pennsic.
              > I got some good pics and will post them if someone can direct me to a
              > good place to do it. Mstislav??????

              Greetings Sergei:

              Glad you had a good time at Pennsic -- would love to see some of those
              photos. You can, of course, post them right here in the SIG space at
              YahooGroups. Just go to the Yahoo/SIG web site, click on "files" on the
              left menu, and take it from there (the next thing you'll see is a screen
              listing the existing files and buttons for adding or deleting files).

              If you would like, you can e-mail the pics to me (or postal mail the
              prints) and I'll spiff them up (yes, that's a techie term!) and post
              them. Sometimes, it helps to use an image-editing program to crop them
              well, adjust the lighting, etc. It's something I do pretty routinely.

              Either way, they can go in the SIG files, with a message to the list
              announcing them (when you create the files, there's an automated message
              that you can choose to send to the list). The pertinent web addresses
              are:

              The pics can also go on the site for the Kingdom of Artemisia, although
              you'll have to give me a signed release (available on the Kingdom web
              site). Reminder to others posting photos: if yours is an SCA web site,
              you must comply with the Board policy requiring written permission from
              any person pictured, as well as from the artist/photographer.

              Hope this helps, Sergie. Holler if I can be of more assistance.

              Lord Mstislav Novgorodski,