Re: [sig] Re: passamenterie fastenings -Polish/Hungarian style

  • Diane Sawyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2001
      From: "Rick Orli" <orlirva@...>

      {snip}

      > The method you suggest below might produce acceptable results. Do
      > you think it is historically accurate? I think 19th C. military
      > uniform passamenterie fastenings were sometimes made sort of like
      > that, but I would have thought not in the 16-17th C. (cheap machine
      > made ribbon was not available until about 1680) (If not accurate,
      > perhaps the base of the button could be wrapped in such a way that
      > its method of construction is not evident.) I was also considering
      > using 'passamenterie buttons'... premade ball buttons that look like
      > they are knotted out of cord.
      >
      > -Rick

      Well, you could make "ribbon" out of strips of fabric, and as far as the
      buttons, you could do the stuffed button thing (there's a good tutorial with
      pictures at the Renaissance Tailor site
      http://www.vertetsable.com/periodstyle.htm) You can disguise the shanks of
      the buttons by wrapping them with thread.

      If you want to do knotted buttons, there is a really good tutorial on them at
      http://www.9v.com/crystal/kerij-e/docs/knots.htm Yes, they're Chinese, but
      it's the best I can come up with on short notice. :-)

      Hope this helps!

      Tasha
    • Rick Orli
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 10, 2001
        Thanks, the chinese knot stuff is great!