Re: passamenterie fastenings -Polish/Hungarian style

  • Rick Orli
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2001
      What I tried was to have a base ribbon, with a three-yarn twisted
      cord around the outside, and make a button or loop out of the cord,
      and tease out the other end. Unfortunately, the product looked bad..
      although perhaps I would have had better luck with a better type of
      cord and more practice, or if I knew what I was doing :) The hardest
      part seemed to be the button. I am not sure also if this is
      historically accurate, although I think it is OK.

      Another way that I know is historically accurate is to take a woven
      ribbon (with medium yarn) and use macramé skills to make a loop and
      button. I know a type of knot called a 'button knot' (or 'foil tip'
      knot because it was used in the old days to wrap the tips of fencing
      foils) for the button end. However I do not have the skill or loom
      to weave the ribbon, and the only suitable pre-woven ribbon I have or
      can buy locally is a wrong color. I have no actual macramé skills at
      this time, but I can work on that if I thought that was the right way
      to go.

      Another way, similiar but with a heavier cord, is sort of like the
      passamenterie 'frogs' you can buy pre-made, but what I would need is
      not like any manufactured style I can find.

      The method you suggest below might produce acceptable results. Do
      you think it is historically accurate? I think 19th C. military
      uniform passamenterie fastenings were sometimes made sort of like
      that, but I would have thought not in the 16-17th C. (cheap machine
      made ribbon was not available until about 1680) (If not accurate,
      perhaps the base of the button could be wrapped in such a way that
      its method of construction is not evident.) I was also considering
      using 'passamenterie buttons'... premade ball buttons that look like
      they are knotted out of cord.

      -Rick
    • Diane Sawyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2001
        From: "Rick Orli" <orlirva@...>

        {snip}

        > The method you suggest below might produce acceptable results. Do
        > you think it is historically accurate? I think 19th C. military
        > uniform passamenterie fastenings were sometimes made sort of like
        > that, but I would have thought not in the 16-17th C. (cheap machine
        > made ribbon was not available until about 1680) (If not accurate,
        > perhaps the base of the button could be wrapped in such a way that
        > its method of construction is not evident.) I was also considering
        > using 'passamenterie buttons'... premade ball buttons that look like
        > they are knotted out of cord.
        >
        > -Rick

        Well, you could make "ribbon" out of strips of fabric, and as far as the
        buttons, you could do the stuffed button thing (there's a good tutorial with
        pictures at the Renaissance Tailor site
        http://www.vertetsable.com/periodstyle.htm) You can disguise the shanks of
        the buttons by wrapping them with thread.

        If you want to do knotted buttons, there is a really good tutorial on them at
        http://www.9v.com/crystal/kerij-e/docs/knots.htm Yes, they're Chinese, but
        it's the best I can come up with on short notice. :-)

        Hope this helps!

        Tasha
      • Rick Orli
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 10, 2001
          Thanks, the chinese knot stuff is great!