RE: [sig] Csombor?

  • Art Plazewski
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
      Indeed cza,ber (polish spelling ) or Latin Satureja hortensis is what
      english speaking people call savory.
      Art Plazewski.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
        > Indeed cza,ber (polish spelling ) or Latin Satureja hortensis is what
        > english speaking people call savory.
        > Art Plazewski.

        Thank you!

      • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2001
          > In _Food and Drink in Medieval Poland_, a reference is made to an herb
          > that seems to have been imported from Hungary with the recipe for
          > sauerbraten; the herb is called 'csombor'.
          > A google search and some dictionary diving suggests to me that csombor is
          > probably the herb called savory.

          You've already gotten an answer, it seems, but I can verify that 'csombor'
          is savory according to my dictionary of Hungarian plant names (No:ve/ny-
          neveink: Magyar-latin szo/gyu"jteme/ny, by Priszter Szaniszlo/).

          --Walraven