Re: [sig] Question about stitching seams

  • Jenn Ridley
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
      Tasha wrote:
      >Do you have to use a laying tool with it? I'm planning a Chinese dragon for
      >mundane display and sale, and I really want to get that glossy, shiny sheen.

      Depends. On 18 ct canvas, doing satin stitch over 6/7 threads, I do
      (of course, I'm also using 4.5 strands (each strand is really two
      filaments)). Doing the German longstitch piece (32 ct linen, over 4
      threads, using 2 strands), I lay it with my fingers or the needle if
      it seems to be twisting. Doing XS with two strands on *any* count
      fabric, I don't. YMMV

      If you want the smooth shiny look, you probably will want to use a
      laying tool.

      >What's NAYY mean?
      no affiliation, yadda, yadda. It's another one of those internet
      acronyms. I first saw it on a Quiltropolis sewing list two-three
      years ago.

      jenn
      --
      Jenn Ridley
      jridley@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
        > Tasha wrote:
        > >Do you have to use a laying tool with it? I'm planning a Chinese dragon
        for
        > >mundane display and sale, and I really want to get that glossy, shiny
        sheen.

        {snip}

        > If you want the smooth shiny look, you probably will want to use a
        > laying tool.
        >
        > jenn
        > --
        > Jenn Ridley

        Most excellent, thank you!

        We now return you to your regularly scheduled Slavic discussions (unless
        someone wants to chime in with stuff on 13th century Russian embroidery, which
        would be REALLY cool).

        Tasha
      • aislinncc
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 26, 2001
          --- In sig@y..., "Melina York" <myork2@h...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I was wondering what kind of technique would be used to stitch the
          seams of
          > clothing from 10th -11th C Kiev. I am planning on doing a piece
          entirely
          > by hand, and want to make sure that I do the seams right.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Xristina

          I know this is an old thread. Xristina, if you haven't finished your
          project yet, or started the seams, or just want info on what stitches
          are used nowadays to finish seams, email me at
          aislinncc@.... I am willing to make copies of pages in some
          books I have and send them to you via snail mail. The books depict
          seam-joining stitches for Ukrainian and Russian peasant blouses. They
          remind me of macrame and I plan to use one of them to join the seams
          of the blouse I am working on.

          Nadezhda Petrovna Stoianova