Re: [sig] Question about stitching seams

  • Jenn Ridley
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
      On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 15:05:39 -0400, "Diane Sawyer" <tasha@...>
      wrote:
      >> Also, what type of thread would be used for the embroidery on the shirt?
      >>
      >> Thanks,
      >> Xristina
      >
      >Probably silk, and that *does* get expensive... I just spent $42 for 11 full
      >skeins and 3 half skeins of silk floss, and local needlework shops are hard to
      >find. If you can find one that carries YLI silk floss, that's much less
      >expensive, but not as widely carried.

      There's also Eterna Mini-twist. About 70 cents a 6yd skein. Colors
      to match all DMC and Anchor colors. Available from some needlework
      shops...my not-so LNS doesn't carry it, but then, she doesn't carry
      *any* silk. Try www.eternasilk.com for a list of shops that carry it.

      I have a full set of the Eterna stranded silk, which is probably
      closer to the silk used in period for embroidery, but it's a little
      trickier to work with than the minitwist, and probably *not* the
      thread to start doing embroidery with.

      yes, it *looks* like the more expensive silk once embroidered. I'm
      doing a piece of German longstitch off of Master Wymarc's page, and if
      I didn't know which colors were the Eterna and which weren't, I
      wouldn't be able to tell -- the Madiera silk is a little thinner than
      the other silks, but it covers just fine once stitched. I'm using
      Splendor, Madiera, and Eterna stranded on this project....it's kind of
      a scrounge the stash for appropriate colors project.

      NAYY...

      jenn
      --
      Jenn Ridley
      jridley@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
        {snip}

        > There's also Eterna Mini-twist. About 70 cents a 6yd skein. Colors
        > to match all DMC and Anchor colors. Available from some needlework
        > shops...my not-so LNS doesn't carry it, but then, she doesn't carry
        > *any* silk. Try www.eternasilk.com for a list of shops that carry it.
        >
        > I have a full set of the Eterna stranded silk, which is probably
        > closer to the silk used in period for embroidery, but it's a little
        > trickier to work with than the minitwist, and probably *not* the
        > thread to start doing embroidery with.

        Do you have to use a laying tool with it? I'm planning a Chinese dragon for
        mundane display and sale, and I really want to get that glossy, shiny sheen.

        I shoulda waited and ordered the Eterna... Oh well. Lessons learned.

        {snip}

        > NAYY...
        >
        > jenn
        > --
        > Jenn Ridley

        What's NAYY mean?

        Tasha
      • Jenn Ridley
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
          Tasha wrote:
          >Do you have to use a laying tool with it? I'm planning a Chinese dragon for
          >mundane display and sale, and I really want to get that glossy, shiny sheen.

          Depends. On 18 ct canvas, doing satin stitch over 6/7 threads, I do
          (of course, I'm also using 4.5 strands (each strand is really two
          filaments)). Doing the German longstitch piece (32 ct linen, over 4
          threads, using 2 strands), I lay it with my fingers or the needle if
          it seems to be twisting. Doing XS with two strands on *any* count
          fabric, I don't. YMMV

          If you want the smooth shiny look, you probably will want to use a
          laying tool.

          >What's NAYY mean?
          no affiliation, yadda, yadda. It's another one of those internet
          acronyms. I first saw it on a Quiltropolis sewing list two-three
          years ago.

          jenn
          --
          Jenn Ridley
          jridley@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
            > Tasha wrote:
            > >Do you have to use a laying tool with it? I'm planning a Chinese dragon
            for
            > >mundane display and sale, and I really want to get that glossy, shiny
            sheen.

            {snip}

            > If you want the smooth shiny look, you probably will want to use a
            > laying tool.
            >
            > jenn
            > --
            > Jenn Ridley

            Most excellent, thank you!

            We now return you to your regularly scheduled Slavic discussions (unless
            someone wants to chime in with stuff on 13th century Russian embroidery, which
            would be REALLY cool).

            Tasha
          • aislinncc
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 26, 2001
              --- In sig@y..., "Melina York" <myork2@h...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I was wondering what kind of technique would be used to stitch the
              seams of
              > clothing from 10th -11th C Kiev. I am planning on doing a piece
              entirely
              > by hand, and want to make sure that I do the seams right.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Xristina

              I know this is an old thread. Xristina, if you haven't finished your
              project yet, or started the seams, or just want info on what stitches
              are used nowadays to finish seams, email me at
              aislinncc@.... I am willing to make copies of pages in some
              books I have and send them to you via snail mail. The books depict
              seam-joining stitches for Ukrainian and Russian peasant blouses. They
              remind me of macrame and I plan to use one of them to join the seams
              of the blouse I am working on.

              Nadezhda Petrovna Stoianova