Re: [sig] Question about stitching seams

  • Diane Sawyer
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
      {snip}

      > >What fabrics and threads are you planning on using?
      >
      > I am using a 60/40% linen/cotton blend
      {snip}
      > I would like to try making one of pure linen, but finding
      > some that fine, and at that price, is difficult at best.

      Try http://www.fabrics-store.com/ -- good prices, wide variety of colors and
      weights, and excellent customer service.

      > As to thread, what would be best to use (from an authentic point of
      > view)? Linen or silk? Other? I don't really know much about this. I have
      > hand stitched two other tunics before (a norman and a spanish one), but I
      > wasn't worried about authentic seams and such. I did it because I could
      > keep sewing even at work. Normally I use a machine for construction, but I
      > want to have a more period piece.

      The reason I asked is that people will often sew wool using poly-cotton
      thread, which eventually saaws right through the wool fibers. From an
      authenticity point of view, you're probably better off using linen thread.
      You can get a 260 yard spool of linen thread in off-white from Jas. Townsend &
      Son for $6 -- a little more expensive, but not as bad as I'd feared.
      http://www.jastown.com/bulk/th-325.htm

      > Also, what type of thread would be used for the embroidery on the shirt?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Xristina

      Probably silk, and that *does* get expensive... I just spent $42 for 11 full
      skeins and 3 half skeins of silk floss, and local needlework shops are hard to
      find. If you can find one that carries YLI silk floss, that's much less
      expensive, but not as widely carried. You could get away with using DMC
      cotton if expense is a concern. I would do the embroidery before assembling
      the shirt; makes it easier to put into a hoop.

      Also, be sure to wash the floss before starting; I just had some blue DMC run
      on me and mess up a piece I was planning on displaying. Surprised the heck
      out of me; I expected the reds to run, but not the blues. You can use a type
      of horse soap called Orvus, which is also used by textile conservationists
      because it is gentle and rinses away cleanly. I have not used it, but
      needleworkers rave over it. I read about one that got a cola stain out of
      some counted cross-stitch with Orvus... sounds good to me! You can get it at
      tack stores ($13 for a 7.5 lb jar, which will last you forever) or quilt
      stores ($6 for an 8oz bottle -- half the price for 1/8 the amount!).

      Have I bored you all yet?

      Tasha
      http://ursamajor.8m.com
    • Jenn Ridley
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
        On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 15:05:39 -0400, "Diane Sawyer" <tasha@...>
        wrote:
        >> Also, what type of thread would be used for the embroidery on the shirt?
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >> Xristina
        >
        >Probably silk, and that *does* get expensive... I just spent $42 for 11 full
        >skeins and 3 half skeins of silk floss, and local needlework shops are hard to
        >find. If you can find one that carries YLI silk floss, that's much less
        >expensive, but not as widely carried.

        There's also Eterna Mini-twist. About 70 cents a 6yd skein. Colors
        to match all DMC and Anchor colors. Available from some needlework
        shops...my not-so LNS doesn't carry it, but then, she doesn't carry
        *any* silk. Try www.eternasilk.com for a list of shops that carry it.

        I have a full set of the Eterna stranded silk, which is probably
        closer to the silk used in period for embroidery, but it's a little
        trickier to work with than the minitwist, and probably *not* the
        thread to start doing embroidery with.

        yes, it *looks* like the more expensive silk once embroidered. I'm
        doing a piece of German longstitch off of Master Wymarc's page, and if
        I didn't know which colors were the Eterna and which weren't, I
        wouldn't be able to tell -- the Madiera silk is a little thinner than
        the other silks, but it covers just fine once stitched. I'm using
        Splendor, Madiera, and Eterna stranded on this project....it's kind of
        a scrounge the stash for appropriate colors project.

        NAYY...

        jenn
        --
        Jenn Ridley
        jridley@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
          {snip}

          > There's also Eterna Mini-twist. About 70 cents a 6yd skein. Colors
          > to match all DMC and Anchor colors. Available from some needlework
          > shops...my not-so LNS doesn't carry it, but then, she doesn't carry
          > *any* silk. Try www.eternasilk.com for a list of shops that carry it.
          >
          > I have a full set of the Eterna stranded silk, which is probably
          > closer to the silk used in period for embroidery, but it's a little
          > trickier to work with than the minitwist, and probably *not* the
          > thread to start doing embroidery with.

          Do you have to use a laying tool with it? I'm planning a Chinese dragon for
          mundane display and sale, and I really want to get that glossy, shiny sheen.

          I shoulda waited and ordered the Eterna... Oh well. Lessons learned.

          {snip}

          > NAYY...
          >
          > jenn
          > --
          > Jenn Ridley

          What's NAYY mean?

          Tasha
        • Jenn Ridley
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
            Tasha wrote:
            >Do you have to use a laying tool with it? I'm planning a Chinese dragon for
            >mundane display and sale, and I really want to get that glossy, shiny sheen.

            Depends. On 18 ct canvas, doing satin stitch over 6/7 threads, I do
            (of course, I'm also using 4.5 strands (each strand is really two
            filaments)). Doing the German longstitch piece (32 ct linen, over 4
            threads, using 2 strands), I lay it with my fingers or the needle if
            it seems to be twisting. Doing XS with two strands on *any* count
            fabric, I don't. YMMV

            If you want the smooth shiny look, you probably will want to use a
            laying tool.

            >What's NAYY mean?
            no affiliation, yadda, yadda. It's another one of those internet
            acronyms. I first saw it on a Quiltropolis sewing list two-three
            years ago.

            jenn
            --
            Jenn Ridley
            jridley@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
              > Tasha wrote:
              > >Do you have to use a laying tool with it? I'm planning a Chinese dragon
              for
              > >mundane display and sale, and I really want to get that glossy, shiny
              sheen.

              {snip}

              > If you want the smooth shiny look, you probably will want to use a
              > laying tool.
              >
              > jenn
              > --
              > Jenn Ridley

              Most excellent, thank you!

              We now return you to your regularly scheduled Slavic discussions (unless
              someone wants to chime in with stuff on 13th century Russian embroidery, which
              would be REALLY cool).

              Tasha
            • aislinncc
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 26, 2001
                --- In sig@y..., "Melina York" <myork2@h...> wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > I was wondering what kind of technique would be used to stitch the
                seams of
                > clothing from 10th -11th C Kiev. I am planning on doing a piece
                entirely
                > by hand, and want to make sure that I do the seams right.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Xristina

                I know this is an old thread. Xristina, if you haven't finished your
                project yet, or started the seams, or just want info on what stitches
                are used nowadays to finish seams, email me at
                aislinncc@.... I am willing to make copies of pages in some
                books I have and send them to you via snail mail. The books depict
                seam-joining stitches for Ukrainian and Russian peasant blouses. They
                remind me of macrame and I plan to use one of them to join the seams
                of the blouse I am working on.

                Nadezhda Petrovna Stoianova