Re: [sig] Question about stitching seams

  • Diane Sawyer
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
      From: "Melina York" <myork2@...>

      > Hi,
      >
      > I was wondering what kind of technique would be used to stitch the seams of
      > clothing from 10th -11th C Kiev. I am planning on doing a piece entirely
      > by hand, and want to make sure that I do the seams right.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Xristina

      I found this article highly useful.
      http://www.virtue.to/guest_authors/archaeological_sewing.html

      I started to make a rubahka by hand about a year ago, using backstitch on the
      seams. I screwed up the placement of the gores and set it aside to redo
      later, and this year realized that I needed to cannibalize it to use the
      fabric for something else. I started to rip the seams, but the backstitching
      was way too sturdy... it would have taken me forever. So I ended up cutting
      close to the seam to get the fabric I needed, but it's good to know that my
      backstitching is that sturdy!

      What fabrics and threads are you planning on using?

      Tasha
    • Melina York
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
        Hi,

        >I found this article highly useful.
        >http://www.virtue.to/guest_authors/archaeological_sewing.html

        Thanks Tasha, it's a great article. Its got enough info to definitely
        get started (and then some).

        >What fabrics and threads are you planning on using?

        I am using a 60/40% linen/cotton blend (found on sale for 1/2 price -
        bought the whole bolt and 2 other colours as well). It's a fine,
        lightwieght fabric that is extremely comfortable to wear. I already made a
        machine stitched shirt and wore it on a very hot/humid day. It was still
        nice to wear. I would like to try making one of pure linen, but finding
        some that fine, and at that price, is difficult at best.

        As to thread, what would be best to use (from an authentic point of
        view)? Linen or silk? Other? I don't really know much about this. I have
        hand stitched two other tunics before (a norman and a spanish one), but I
        wasn't worried about authentic seams and such. I did it because I could
        keep sewing even at work. Normally I use a machine for construction, but I
        want to have a more period piece.

        Also, what type of thread would be used for the embroidery on the shirt?

        Thanks,
        Xristina
      • Diane Sawyer
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
          {snip}

          > >What fabrics and threads are you planning on using?
          >
          > I am using a 60/40% linen/cotton blend
          {snip}
          > I would like to try making one of pure linen, but finding
          > some that fine, and at that price, is difficult at best.

          Try http://www.fabrics-store.com/ -- good prices, wide variety of colors and
          weights, and excellent customer service.

          > As to thread, what would be best to use (from an authentic point of
          > view)? Linen or silk? Other? I don't really know much about this. I have
          > hand stitched two other tunics before (a norman and a spanish one), but I
          > wasn't worried about authentic seams and such. I did it because I could
          > keep sewing even at work. Normally I use a machine for construction, but I
          > want to have a more period piece.

          The reason I asked is that people will often sew wool using poly-cotton
          thread, which eventually saaws right through the wool fibers. From an
          authenticity point of view, you're probably better off using linen thread.
          You can get a 260 yard spool of linen thread in off-white from Jas. Townsend &
          Son for $6 -- a little more expensive, but not as bad as I'd feared.
          http://www.jastown.com/bulk/th-325.htm

          > Also, what type of thread would be used for the embroidery on the shirt?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Xristina

          Probably silk, and that *does* get expensive... I just spent $42 for 11 full
          skeins and 3 half skeins of silk floss, and local needlework shops are hard to
          find. If you can find one that carries YLI silk floss, that's much less
          expensive, but not as widely carried. You could get away with using DMC
          cotton if expense is a concern. I would do the embroidery before assembling
          the shirt; makes it easier to put into a hoop.

          Also, be sure to wash the floss before starting; I just had some blue DMC run
          on me and mess up a piece I was planning on displaying. Surprised the heck
          out of me; I expected the reds to run, but not the blues. You can use a type
          of horse soap called Orvus, which is also used by textile conservationists
          because it is gentle and rinses away cleanly. I have not used it, but
          needleworkers rave over it. I read about one that got a cola stain out of
          some counted cross-stitch with Orvus... sounds good to me! You can get it at
          tack stores ($13 for a 7.5 lb jar, which will last you forever) or quilt
          stores ($6 for an 8oz bottle -- half the price for 1/8 the amount!).

          Have I bored you all yet?

          Tasha
          http://ursamajor.8m.com
        • Jenn Ridley
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
            On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 15:05:39 -0400, "Diane Sawyer" <tasha@...>
            wrote:
            >> Also, what type of thread would be used for the embroidery on the shirt?
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >> Xristina
            >
            >Probably silk, and that *does* get expensive... I just spent $42 for 11 full
            >skeins and 3 half skeins of silk floss, and local needlework shops are hard to
            >find. If you can find one that carries YLI silk floss, that's much less
            >expensive, but not as widely carried.

            There's also Eterna Mini-twist. About 70 cents a 6yd skein. Colors
            to match all DMC and Anchor colors. Available from some needlework
            shops...my not-so LNS doesn't carry it, but then, she doesn't carry
            *any* silk. Try www.eternasilk.com for a list of shops that carry it.

            I have a full set of the Eterna stranded silk, which is probably
            closer to the silk used in period for embroidery, but it's a little
            trickier to work with than the minitwist, and probably *not* the
            thread to start doing embroidery with.

            yes, it *looks* like the more expensive silk once embroidered. I'm
            doing a piece of German longstitch off of Master Wymarc's page, and if
            I didn't know which colors were the Eterna and which weren't, I
            wouldn't be able to tell -- the Madiera silk is a little thinner than
            the other silks, but it covers just fine once stitched. I'm using
            Splendor, Madiera, and Eterna stranded on this project....it's kind of
            a scrounge the stash for appropriate colors project.

            NAYY...

            jenn
            --
            Jenn Ridley
            jridley@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
              {snip}

              > There's also Eterna Mini-twist. About 70 cents a 6yd skein. Colors
              > to match all DMC and Anchor colors. Available from some needlework
              > shops...my not-so LNS doesn't carry it, but then, she doesn't carry
              > *any* silk. Try www.eternasilk.com for a list of shops that carry it.
              >
              > I have a full set of the Eterna stranded silk, which is probably
              > closer to the silk used in period for embroidery, but it's a little
              > trickier to work with than the minitwist, and probably *not* the
              > thread to start doing embroidery with.

              Do you have to use a laying tool with it? I'm planning a Chinese dragon for
              mundane display and sale, and I really want to get that glossy, shiny sheen.

              I shoulda waited and ordered the Eterna... Oh well. Lessons learned.

              {snip}

              > NAYY...
              >
              > jenn
              > --
              > Jenn Ridley

              What's NAYY mean?

              Tasha
            • Jenn Ridley
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
                Tasha wrote:
                >Do you have to use a laying tool with it? I'm planning a Chinese dragon for
                >mundane display and sale, and I really want to get that glossy, shiny sheen.

                Depends. On 18 ct canvas, doing satin stitch over 6/7 threads, I do
                (of course, I'm also using 4.5 strands (each strand is really two
                filaments)). Doing the German longstitch piece (32 ct linen, over 4
                threads, using 2 strands), I lay it with my fingers or the needle if
                it seems to be twisting. Doing XS with two strands on *any* count
                fabric, I don't. YMMV

                If you want the smooth shiny look, you probably will want to use a
                laying tool.

                >What's NAYY mean?
                no affiliation, yadda, yadda. It's another one of those internet
                acronyms. I first saw it on a Quiltropolis sewing list two-three
                years ago.

                jenn
                --
                Jenn Ridley
                jridley@...
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
                  > Tasha wrote:
                  > >Do you have to use a laying tool with it? I'm planning a Chinese dragon
                  for
                  > >mundane display and sale, and I really want to get that glossy, shiny
                  sheen.

                  {snip}

                  > If you want the smooth shiny look, you probably will want to use a
                  > laying tool.
                  >
                  > jenn
                  > --
                  > Jenn Ridley

                  Most excellent, thank you!

                  We now return you to your regularly scheduled Slavic discussions (unless
                  someone wants to chime in with stuff on 13th century Russian embroidery, which
                  would be REALLY cool).

                  Tasha
                • aislinncc
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 26, 2001
                    --- In sig@y..., "Melina York" <myork2@h...> wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I was wondering what kind of technique would be used to stitch the
                    seams of
                    > clothing from 10th -11th C Kiev. I am planning on doing a piece
                    entirely
                    > by hand, and want to make sure that I do the seams right.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Xristina

                    I know this is an old thread. Xristina, if you haven't finished your
                    project yet, or started the seams, or just want info on what stitches
                    are used nowadays to finish seams, email me at
                    aislinncc@.... I am willing to make copies of pages in some
                    books I have and send them to you via snail mail. The books depict
                    seam-joining stitches for Ukrainian and Russian peasant blouses. They
                    remind me of macrame and I plan to use one of them to join the seams
                    of the blouse I am working on.

                    Nadezhda Petrovna Stoianova