Foreign visitors to Russia -- name help?

  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2001
      Zdravstvuyte,

      I am looking for some assistance. Next weekend here in Caid there'll be an
      Arts and Sciences Pentathlon, and I got myself into entering the whole thing
      -- 8 items, 5 pieces of documentation (other 3 entries are 2 papers, already
      turned in, and a fairytale to be told). I left writing up some of the
      documentation for last, and here is my problem. I am citing some foreign
      visitors to Russia from Russian sources, but I need English spellings of
      their names. Would anyone know whether my spellings are correct or be able
      to decipher what the right ones are? Here are the names:

      Archbishop Arsenii Elassonis (Fessalia?), 1588-1589
      Fletcher (need full name, England), during the reign of Ivan the Terrible
      Jerome Gorcey (England), 1572-1591
      Jaques Margeret (France), 1590-1606
      Adam Olearius (Golshtinia?), 1630s -1640s

      I would appreciate any assistance with these.
      Liudmila

    • Elizabeth Lear
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2001
        <Fletcher (need full name, England), during the reign of Ivan the Terrible

        Giles Fletcher, 1591
        Of the Russe Commonwealth

        cover of the facsimile of his book:
        http://indra.com/~eliz/Pictures/SCA/Rus-cover.gif

        <Adam Olearius (Golshtinia?), 1630s -1640s

        Adam Oelschlager, better known as Olearius, 1633-36

        Travels of Olearius in 17th Century Russia, The
        Baron, Samuel H. (trans & ed)
        Stanford Univeristy Press, Stanford, CA 1967
        LCCCN 67-26525
        Firsthand account of a German's travels through Muscovy and Tartary
        in 1633-36. First published in 1647.

        -Yeliz
      • stasi.wa
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2001
          >>to decipher what the right ones are? Here are the names:
          >
          >>Jerome Gorcey (England), 1572-1591
          >Jaques Margeret (France), 1590-1606
          >>
          >I would appreciate any assistance with these.
          >Liudmila
          >
          >Hi,
          Jacque Margaret is correct, but it is Jerome Horsey, not Gorcey
          > Good luck with your competition!!
          Baroness Anastasia

          NetZero Platinum
          Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
        • Sarayya@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2001
            The correct spelling is: Jacques Margeret

            Soraya
          • LiudmilaV@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2001
              Kind ladies, thank you for your invaluable assistance. The two pieces of
              documentation that required those names are now finished and almost ready to
              go!

              Liudmila,
              now fretting mostly over my cooking entrees