Re: [sig] Polish At Pennsic

  • Amanda Lewanski
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2001
      "Robert L. Parker" wrote:

      > I am planning on bringing my whole Polish Hussar kit to Pennsic this
      > year. I will be wearing the wings around so you won't be able to miss
      > me.

      But I'll be looking from Texas.....is there a pic of this online
      anywhere? My husband got this "ooooooh" look in his eyes when I
      mentioned this.

      --Alisandre

    • Diane Sawyer
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 5, 2001
        From: "Robert L. Parker" <parkrobe@...>

        > Sorry you won't be able to make it. Here are some of my early pics of
        > my kit.
        {snip}

        > Sergei

        If you added them as an attachment, Sergei, you're out of luck; the list is
        set to strip them. If you like, however, you can send them to me privately
        and I can post them to some webspace I have available.

        Tasha
        tasha@...
      • Robert L. Parker
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 5, 2001
          Sorry you won't be able to make it. Here are some of my early pics of
          my kit. I haven't got my helmet done yet and am adding pauldrons. At
          Pennsic I will have a helmet for dress only and my pauldrons will be
          finished. At some point, I will have show pics done on horseback. Then
          I will post to SIG list that I have them and send them out to whoever
          wants them. Look forward to it.

          Sergei

        • Mstislav Novgorodskii
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
            Diane Sawyer wrote:

            > If you added them as an attachment, Sergei, you're out of luck; the
            > list is
            > set to strip them. If you like, however, you can send them to me
            > privately
            > and I can post them to some webspace I have available.
            >
            > Tasha
            > tasha@...

            Greetings:

            I was just wondering if you ever received or saw any of the photos of
            Sergei's winged outfit? If not, I have some snapshots of him wearing
            it during a recent tourney. I can send you a couple, or you can see
            two of them on the web site for the Kingdom of Artemisia's Yahoo Group,
            which is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/artemisia/files/
            Likewise, I could also add them to SIG's Yahoo "files" page, if there is
            interest.

            Let me know and I'll respond.

            In service,

            Mstislav Novgorodskii,
            Chronicler and Web Minister,
            Kingdom of Artemisia
          • Jenn/Yana
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
              Yes, please! Go ahead and add them to our files, so that more people can
              see this really cool outfit (you have to be signed in to yahoo and a member
              of "Artemesia" to see their files, but not to see SIG files)!

              --Yana

              >I was just wondering if you ever received or saw any of the photos of
              >Sergei's winged outfit? If not, I have some snapshots of him wearing
              >it during a recent tourney. I can send you a couple, or you can see
              >two of them on the web site for the Kingdom of Artemisia's Yahoo Group,
              >which is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/artemisia/files/
              >Likewise, I could also add them to SIG's Yahoo "files" page, if there is
              >interest.
              >
              >Let me know and I'll respond.
              >
              >In service,
              >
              >Mstislav Novgorodskii,
            • Diane Sawyer
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
                > > If you added them as an attachment, Sergei, you're out of luck; the
                > > list is
                > > set to strip them. If you like, however, you can send them to me
                > > privately
                > > and I can post them to some webspace I have available.
                > >
                > > Tasha
                > > tasha@...
                >
                > Greetings:
                >
                > I was just wondering if you ever received or saw any of the photos of
                > Sergei's winged outfit?

                Sure did and spiffy it is! They can be viewed here:
                http://tasha.htmlplanet.com/hussar.html

                Tasha
                who was very sorry to miss Pennsic!
              • Lord Mstislav Novgorodskii
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
                  Greetings to the list:

                  Tasha showed us a web page with some shots of Sergei in his "totally
                  cool" armor. I've added MY shots of the same stuff from the same
                  event (Uprising 2001 in Artemisia) to the "Files" section right here
                  at SIG's space in Yahoo Groups. The "other" photographer was sort of
                  following me around -- or was it the other way? NO -- I was leading!
                  :-}

                  Anyway, the pics show Sergei in his wonderful armor -- talk about a
                  feather (or three!) in your, um, cap? The main difference between
                  these pics and the ones Tasha showed us is close-ups: I've included
                  a set of four pics of Sergei mixing it up while wearing this armor,
                  with LARGE, SMALLER and SMALLEST file sizes (and, thus, screen
                  sizes).

                  Have a look at the smallest first, and then, for those of you who
                  crave construction details, click on the LARGEST! Enjoy.

                  BTW -- Sergei is shown in a barrier battle with spears against
                  Artemisia's Crown Prince, HRH Sir Konrad Von Krixen (now His Majesty
                  Konrad). The pics are in sequence, with Sergei appearing to get in a
                  face shot, then we see the defense by His Highness, and then, alas,
                  Sergei takes it on the chin. But his armor did great! (So did
                  Sergei, seriously.)

                  The link to them is:

                  Or just use whatever usual link that takes you to the SIG Yahoo
                  Group, and then click on "FILES" in the left menu. Take it from
                  there!

                  In service,

                  Lord Mstislav Novgorodskii,
                  Chronicler and Web Minister,
                  Kingdom of Artemisia

                  P.S. -- As per SCA policy, I DO have waivers from the
                  portrayed persons allowing the posting of these pictures on a Society
                  web page.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 21, 2001
                    Sergei, what did you use for the form on those? Is that Rattan with holes
                    drilled in it for the feathers? Also how did you attach it to the backplate
                    of your armor?the book on Polish winged armor I have has almost a hinge
                    attachement. I love it though, really nifty, I am also curious if any of
                    the marshals gave you any flack about it. Betcha it saves you from a few
                    wrap shots.

                    Tasha showed us a web page with some shots of Sergei in his "totally
                    cool" armor. I've added MY shots of the same stuff from the same
                    event (Uprising 2001 in Artemisia) to the "Files" section right here
                    at SIG's space in Yahoo Groups. The "other" photographer was sort of
                    following me around -- or was it the other way? NO -- I was leading!
                    :-}

                    Anyway, the pics show Sergei in his wonderful armor -- talk about a
                    feather (or three!) in your, um, cap? The main difference between
                    these pics and the ones Tasha showed us is close-ups: I've included
                    a set of four pics of Sergei mixing it up while wearing this armor,
                    with LARGE, SMALLER and SMALLEST file sizes (and, thus, screen
                    sizes).

                    Have a look at the smallest first, and then, for those of you who
                    crave construction details, click on the LARGEST! Enjoy.

                    BTW -- Sergei is shown in a barrier battle with spears against
                    Artemisia's Crown Prince, HRH Sir Konrad Von Krixen (now His Majesty
                    Konrad). The pics are in sequence, with Sergei appearing to get in a
                    face shot, then we see the defense by His Highness, and then, alas,
                    Sergei takes it on the chin. But his armor did great! (So did
                    Sergei, seriously.)

                    The link to them is:

                    Or just use whatever usual link that takes you to the SIG Yahoo
                    Group, and then click on "FILES" in the left menu. Take it from
                    there!

                    In service,

                    Lord Mstislav Novgorodskii,
                    Chronicler and Web Minister,
                    Kingdom of Artemisia

                    P.S. -- As per SCA policy, I DO have waivers from the
                    portrayed persons allowing the posting of these pictures on a Society
                    web page.

                    > > I was just wondering if you ever received or saw any of the
                    photos
                    > > of Sergei's winged outfit?
                    >
                    > Sure did and spiffy it is! They can be viewed here:
                    > http://tasha.htmlplanet.com/hussar.html
                    <http://tasha.htmlplanet.com/hussar.html>

                    > Tasha
                    > who was very sorry to miss Pennsic!

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=211550.1562866.3121829.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17057675
                    03:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=211550.1562866.3121829.1261774/D=egroupmai
                    l/S=1705767503:HM/A=763352/rand=726269289>

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  • Robert L. Parker
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 22, 2001
                      Mark,
                      The wings are simply constructed of 1x2 wood with holes drilled and
                      wrapped in red duck cloth and brass tack nails. They are attached with
                      brass mounts that I had to fashion off the cuff. I saw similar mounts
                      with thumbscrews and wing nuts which is what I went with. I didn't have
                      the stuff for hinge mounts but considered it. I did get some guff from
                      my local marshals about the 1x2 being only 3/4" wide and therefore could
                      conceivably go through a grill. I don't fight with the wings yet but am
                      going to build a wing that can go safely in to battle. That should be
                      neat. (OOH, look at that guy with the wings, let's kill him) I will be
                      getting pictures of the mounts soon. I promise and I will send them
                      along. Please keep bugging me about it.

                      Everyone else on the list,
                      Greetings. I had one hell of a time showing off my kit at Pennsic.
                      I got some good pics and will post them if someone can direct me to a
                      good place to do it. Mstislav?????? Hopefully I will be getting my
                      helmet soon. Had to wear the one at Pennsic without padding because it
                      was too small. (pinched my head bad) Wore it for the photo ops. Anyone
                      else with questions, please ask. That is the main reason I like the
                      Polish kit, because people ask and I get to pass on knowledge and spread
                      Slavic interest

                      In service,
                      Pomestnik Sergei
                    • Mstislav Novgorodskii
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 22, 2001
                        "Robert L. Parker" wrote:

                        > Everyone else on the list,
                        > Greetings. I had one hell of a time showing off my kit at
                        > Pennsic.
                        > I got some good pics and will post them if someone can direct me to a
                        > good place to do it. Mstislav??????

                        Greetings Sergei:

                        Glad you had a good time at Pennsic -- would love to see some of those
                        photos. You can, of course, post them right here in the SIG space at
                        YahooGroups. Just go to the Yahoo/SIG web site, click on "files" on the
                        left menu, and take it from there (the next thing you'll see is a screen
                        listing the existing files and buttons for adding or deleting files).

                        If you would like, you can e-mail the pics to me (or postal mail the
                        prints) and I'll spiff them up (yes, that's a techie term!) and post
                        them. Sometimes, it helps to use an image-editing program to crop them
                        well, adjust the lighting, etc. It's something I do pretty routinely.

                        Either way, they can go in the SIG files, with a message to the list
                        announcing them (when you create the files, there's an automated message
                        that you can choose to send to the list). The pertinent web addresses
                        are:

                        The pics can also go on the site for the Kingdom of Artemisia, although
                        you'll have to give me a signed release (available on the Kingdom web
                        site). Reminder to others posting photos: if yours is an SCA web site,
                        you must comply with the Board policy requiring written permission from
                        any person pictured, as well as from the artist/photographer.

                        Hope this helps, Sergie. Holler if I can be of more assistance.

                        Lord Mstislav Novgorodski,