Polish At Pennsic

  • Robert L. Parker
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
      I am planning on bringing my whole Polish Hussar kit to Pennsic this
      year. I will be wearing the wings around so you won't be able to miss
      me. He he!!! Looking forward to seeing a whole lot of you there.

      I agree, we need a tavern at pennsic.

      See some of you soon,
      Sergei
    • Amanda Lewanski
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2001
        "Robert L. Parker" wrote:

        > I am planning on bringing my whole Polish Hussar kit to Pennsic this
        > year. I will be wearing the wings around so you won't be able to miss
        > me.

        But I'll be looking from Texas.....is there a pic of this online
        anywhere? My husband got this "ooooooh" look in his eyes when I
        mentioned this.

        --Alisandre

      • Diane Sawyer
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 5, 2001
          From: "Robert L. Parker" <parkrobe@...>

          > Sorry you won't be able to make it. Here are some of my early pics of
          > my kit.
          {snip}

          > Sergei

          If you added them as an attachment, Sergei, you're out of luck; the list is
          set to strip them. If you like, however, you can send them to me privately
          and I can post them to some webspace I have available.

          Tasha
          tasha@...
        • Robert L. Parker
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 5, 2001
            Sorry you won't be able to make it. Here are some of my early pics of
            my kit. I haven't got my helmet done yet and am adding pauldrons. At
            Pennsic I will have a helmet for dress only and my pauldrons will be
            finished. At some point, I will have show pics done on horseback. Then
            I will post to SIG list that I have them and send them out to whoever
            wants them. Look forward to it.

            Sergei

          • Mstislav Novgorodskii
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
              Diane Sawyer wrote:

              > If you added them as an attachment, Sergei, you're out of luck; the
              > list is
              > set to strip them. If you like, however, you can send them to me
              > privately
              > and I can post them to some webspace I have available.
              >
              > Tasha
              > tasha@...

              Greetings:

              I was just wondering if you ever received or saw any of the photos of
              Sergei's winged outfit? If not, I have some snapshots of him wearing
              it during a recent tourney. I can send you a couple, or you can see
              two of them on the web site for the Kingdom of Artemisia's Yahoo Group,
              which is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/artemisia/files/
              Likewise, I could also add them to SIG's Yahoo "files" page, if there is
              interest.

              Let me know and I'll respond.

              In service,

              Mstislav Novgorodskii,
              Chronicler and Web Minister,
              Kingdom of Artemisia
            • Jenn/Yana
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
                Yes, please! Go ahead and add them to our files, so that more people can
                see this really cool outfit (you have to be signed in to yahoo and a member
                of "Artemesia" to see their files, but not to see SIG files)!

                --Yana

                >I was just wondering if you ever received or saw any of the photos of
                >Sergei's winged outfit? If not, I have some snapshots of him wearing
                >it during a recent tourney. I can send you a couple, or you can see
                >two of them on the web site for the Kingdom of Artemisia's Yahoo Group,
                >which is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/artemisia/files/
                >Likewise, I could also add them to SIG's Yahoo "files" page, if there is
                >interest.
                >
                >Let me know and I'll respond.
                >
                >In service,
                >
                >Mstislav Novgorodskii,
              • Diane Sawyer
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
                  > > If you added them as an attachment, Sergei, you're out of luck; the
                  > > list is
                  > > set to strip them. If you like, however, you can send them to me
                  > > privately
                  > > and I can post them to some webspace I have available.
                  > >
                  > > Tasha
                  > > tasha@...
                  >
                  > Greetings:
                  >
                  > I was just wondering if you ever received or saw any of the photos of
                  > Sergei's winged outfit?

                  Sure did and spiffy it is! They can be viewed here:
                  http://tasha.htmlplanet.com/hussar.html

                  Tasha
                  who was very sorry to miss Pennsic!
                • Lord Mstislav Novgorodskii
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
                    Greetings to the list:

                    Tasha showed us a web page with some shots of Sergei in his "totally
                    cool" armor. I've added MY shots of the same stuff from the same
                    event (Uprising 2001 in Artemisia) to the "Files" section right here
                    at SIG's space in Yahoo Groups. The "other" photographer was sort of
                    following me around -- or was it the other way? NO -- I was leading!
                    :-}

                    Anyway, the pics show Sergei in his wonderful armor -- talk about a
                    feather (or three!) in your, um, cap? The main difference between
                    these pics and the ones Tasha showed us is close-ups: I've included
                    a set of four pics of Sergei mixing it up while wearing this armor,
                    with LARGE, SMALLER and SMALLEST file sizes (and, thus, screen
                    sizes).

                    Have a look at the smallest first, and then, for those of you who
                    crave construction details, click on the LARGEST! Enjoy.

                    BTW -- Sergei is shown in a barrier battle with spears against
                    Artemisia's Crown Prince, HRH Sir Konrad Von Krixen (now His Majesty
                    Konrad). The pics are in sequence, with Sergei appearing to get in a
                    face shot, then we see the defense by His Highness, and then, alas,
                    Sergei takes it on the chin. But his armor did great! (So did
                    Sergei, seriously.)

                    The link to them is:

                    Or just use whatever usual link that takes you to the SIG Yahoo
                    Group, and then click on "FILES" in the left menu. Take it from
                    there!

                    In service,

                    Lord Mstislav Novgorodskii,
                    Chronicler and Web Minister,
                    Kingdom of Artemisia

                    P.S. -- As per SCA policy, I DO have waivers from the
                    portrayed persons allowing the posting of these pictures on a Society
                    web page.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 21, 2001
                      Sergei, what did you use for the form on those? Is that Rattan with holes
                      drilled in it for the feathers? Also how did you attach it to the backplate
                      of your armor?the book on Polish winged armor I have has almost a hinge
                      attachement. I love it though, really nifty, I am also curious if any of
                      the marshals gave you any flack about it. Betcha it saves you from a few
                      wrap shots.

                      Tasha showed us a web page with some shots of Sergei in his "totally
                      cool" armor. I've added MY shots of the same stuff from the same
                      event (Uprising 2001 in Artemisia) to the "Files" section right here
                      at SIG's space in Yahoo Groups. The "other" photographer was sort of
                      following me around -- or was it the other way? NO -- I was leading!
                      :-}

                      Anyway, the pics show Sergei in his wonderful armor -- talk about a
                      feather (or three!) in your, um, cap? The main difference between
                      these pics and the ones Tasha showed us is close-ups: I've included
                      a set of four pics of Sergei mixing it up while wearing this armor,
                      with LARGE, SMALLER and SMALLEST file sizes (and, thus, screen
                      sizes).

                      Have a look at the smallest first, and then, for those of you who
                      crave construction details, click on the LARGEST! Enjoy.

                      BTW -- Sergei is shown in a barrier battle with spears against
                      Artemisia's Crown Prince, HRH Sir Konrad Von Krixen (now His Majesty
                      Konrad). The pics are in sequence, with Sergei appearing to get in a
                      face shot, then we see the defense by His Highness, and then, alas,
                      Sergei takes it on the chin. But his armor did great! (So did
                      Sergei, seriously.)

                      The link to them is:

                      Or just use whatever usual link that takes you to the SIG Yahoo
                      Group, and then click on "FILES" in the left menu. Take it from
                      there!

                      In service,

                      Lord Mstislav Novgorodskii,
                      Chronicler and Web Minister,
                      Kingdom of Artemisia

                      P.S. -- As per SCA policy, I DO have waivers from the
                      portrayed persons allowing the posting of these pictures on a Society
                      web page.

                      > > I was just wondering if you ever received or saw any of the
                      photos
                      > > of Sergei's winged outfit?
                      >
                      > Sure did and spiffy it is! They can be viewed here:
                      > http://tasha.htmlplanet.com/hussar.html
                      <http://tasha.htmlplanet.com/hussar.html>

                      > Tasha
                      > who was very sorry to miss Pennsic!

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=211550.1562866.3121829.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17057675
                      03:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=211550.1562866.3121829.1261774/D=egroupmai
                      l/S=1705767503:HM/A=763352/rand=726269289>

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    • Robert L. Parker
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 22, 2001
                        Mark,
                        The wings are simply constructed of 1x2 wood with holes drilled and
                        wrapped in red duck cloth and brass tack nails. They are attached with
                        brass mounts that I had to fashion off the cuff. I saw similar mounts
                        with thumbscrews and wing nuts which is what I went with. I didn't have
                        the stuff for hinge mounts but considered it. I did get some guff from
                        my local marshals about the 1x2 being only 3/4" wide and therefore could
                        conceivably go through a grill. I don't fight with the wings yet but am
                        going to build a wing that can go safely in to battle. That should be
                        neat. (OOH, look at that guy with the wings, let's kill him) I will be
                        getting pictures of the mounts soon. I promise and I will send them
                        along. Please keep bugging me about it.

                        Everyone else on the list,
                        Greetings. I had one hell of a time showing off my kit at Pennsic.
                        I got some good pics and will post them if someone can direct me to a
                        good place to do it. Mstislav?????? Hopefully I will be getting my
                        helmet soon. Had to wear the one at Pennsic without padding because it
                        was too small. (pinched my head bad) Wore it for the photo ops. Anyone
                        else with questions, please ask. That is the main reason I like the
                        Polish kit, because people ask and I get to pass on knowledge and spread
                        Slavic interest

                        In service,
                        Pomestnik Sergei
                      • Mstislav Novgorodskii
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 22, 2001
                          "Robert L. Parker" wrote:

                          > Everyone else on the list,
                          > Greetings. I had one hell of a time showing off my kit at
                          > Pennsic.
                          > I got some good pics and will post them if someone can direct me to a
                          > good place to do it. Mstislav??????

                          Greetings Sergei:

                          Glad you had a good time at Pennsic -- would love to see some of those
                          photos. You can, of course, post them right here in the SIG space at
                          YahooGroups. Just go to the Yahoo/SIG web site, click on "files" on the
                          left menu, and take it from there (the next thing you'll see is a screen
                          listing the existing files and buttons for adding or deleting files).

                          If you would like, you can e-mail the pics to me (or postal mail the
                          prints) and I'll spiff them up (yes, that's a techie term!) and post
                          them. Sometimes, it helps to use an image-editing program to crop them
                          well, adjust the lighting, etc. It's something I do pretty routinely.

                          Either way, they can go in the SIG files, with a message to the list
                          announcing them (when you create the files, there's an automated message
                          that you can choose to send to the list). The pertinent web addresses
                          are:

                          The pics can also go on the site for the Kingdom of Artemisia, although
                          you'll have to give me a signed release (available on the Kingdom web
                          site). Reminder to others posting photos: if yours is an SCA web site,
                          you must comply with the Board policy requiring written permission from
                          any person pictured, as well as from the artist/photographer.

                          Hope this helps, Sergie. Holler if I can be of more assistance.

                          Lord Mstislav Novgorodski,