Norse cookbook

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30 8:07 AM
      OK, granted this is (slightly) off-topic, but I thought people might be
      interested - arrived on another mailing list that I subscribe to, whence it
      was sent by someone who saw it on "the Old Norse list"...

      [quote]
      Old Norse Net <ONN@...>
      Subject: FW: Libellus de Arte Coquinaria
      Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001

      "Libellus de arte coquinaria" An Early Northern Cookbook, ed. and trans. by
      Rudolf Grewe [deceased] and Constance B. Hieatt; Medieval and Renaissance
      Texts and Studies, vol. 222; Arizona Center for Medieval and
      Renaissance Studies, Tempe, Arizona, 2001.

      The jacket blurb reads: The collection of medieval culinary recipes here
      published dates from the early thirteenth century and is likely to be the
      earliest witness we have to a number of recipes that appear again and again
      in later medieval collections. This critical edition of thirty-five
      recipes
      from four Danish, Icelandic, and Low German manuscripts records culinary
      themes that were to flourish throughout the later Middle Ages and is a
      major
      contribution to the literature on food. The volume includes translations,
      textual notes, a commentary, and detailed indices covering utensils,
      procedures. ingredients, dishes, and a glossary for each of the three
      languages.

      To order, the address is
      Cornell University Press Services
      PO Box 6525
      Ithaca
      NY 14851
      USA

      email: orderbook@...
      Phone: 800 666-2211
      Fax: 800 688-2877

      You can order on email by credit card; the book costs $22 plus shipping. If
      you need it in a big hurry ask them for express mail or the like.

      One further comment: there are no "adapted" recipes in the book, but most
      of
      the recipes are so simple anyone could adapt them. For example, "One
      should
      boil a whole hen with sage leaves, pork meat diced as small as peas,
      vinegar
      and salt."

      [unquote]

      Yours aye