Re: [sig] Rus Name For Paul to OK

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2001
      In a message dated 7/18/2001 2:55:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
      parkrobe@... writes:

      > I had
      > my friend add the Maniak (from Mana, where is that, btw?) so it would be

      This is the part I have a problem with. The dictionary does not gibe examples
      with *ia*, only *a* -- that is a significant difference in Russian (changes
      from one letter to another, and affects the sound of the preceding consonant).

      In addition, Mana does not appear to be a place-name. Its similarity to the
      verb "manit' " (to beckon) probably explains the meaning given by the source
      Paul used for the entry. However, that does not seem right to me. I don't
      think it's a Russian name at all (meaning, it could very well be from one of
      the many non-Russian languages spoken on the Russian territory in period).

      Finally, there is absolutely no need to use a third element in a period
      Russian name. Vasilii Volkov should do fine -- I can't imagine it's a
      protected name, so it should pass registration.

      Predslava.