Rus Name For Paul to OK

  • Robert L. Parker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2001
      Unto The Wise and All-knowing Paul Wickneden of Thanet,
      I have a friend lacking internet access and I said that I would run
      this name by you.
      Vasilii Volkov Maniak

      I found all these in your dictionary and locative bynames sites so I
      assume they will work. My only concern is that there is already a real
      person documented from 1160's with the name "Vasilii Volkovich" in your
      documentation. I wonder if the above name would clash too much. I had
      my friend add the Maniak (from Mana, where is that, btw?) so it would be
      more distinctive. Any suggestions?

      A thousand thanks,
      Sergei
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2001
        In a message dated 7/18/2001 2:55:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
        parkrobe@... writes:

        > I had
        > my friend add the Maniak (from Mana, where is that, btw?) so it would be

        This is the part I have a problem with. The dictionary does not gibe examples
        with *ia*, only *a* -- that is a significant difference in Russian (changes
        from one letter to another, and affects the sound of the preceding consonant).

        In addition, Mana does not appear to be a place-name. Its similarity to the
        verb "manit' " (to beckon) probably explains the meaning given by the source
        Paul used for the entry. However, that does not seem right to me. I don't
        think it's a Russian name at all (meaning, it could very well be from one of
        the many non-Russian languages spoken on the Russian territory in period).

        Finally, there is absolutely no need to use a third element in a period
        Russian name. Vasilii Volkov should do fine -- I can't imagine it's a
        protected name, so it should pass registration.

        Predslava.