Kievan headdresses.....

  • Jenn Ridley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2001
      I am actually going to make it to an event soon...(in October), and
      while I've got everything pretty much figured out, I'm confused about
      headdresses. I know I need a veil (if only to hide the OOP short
      cut), but I'm not sure what else I need to present a finished image.

      I do early period (c1030 CE), so I don't think I need anything really
      fancy. This is good, because I haven't started sewing my garb yet,
      and I should do a matching set for my 9yo--her first event, and we're
      going to match, so that *if* she gets lost, it'll be easy to find her
      (and it'll be easier for her to find me)--I don't think that there
      will be a lot of Russians at this event.... I know she doesn't need
      anything on her head except a braid (she's got period hair).

      I looked at Sofya's page, and while it was chock full of information,
      I'm not sure how much of it applies to early period Kiev.

      suggestions, please....

      thanks!!

      stasia
      --
      Jenn Ridley
      jenn.ridley@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2001
        Stasia,
        Unless it states otherwise specifically, the information on my page
        should apply to early period Rus, including Kiev, the "capital" of Rus at
        that time. Wearing a veil over a povoinik would be completely appropriate
        for finishing off your image. You can get more fancy if you'd like with the
        kokoshniks or kikas, but it isn't necessary.
        My webpage only illustrates one of the ways the scarf, or ubrus, could be
        worn. Others on this list can probably give good descriptions. Check out
        my "Miscellaneous SIG Headdress Notes" for some prior discussion on the
        topic.

        Good luck!
        Sofya la Rus

        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia