Re: [sig] salo

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
      In a message dated 7/1/2001 9:11:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
      sergius@... writes:

      > What's known as salo sounds an awful lot like stoogin (phonetic spelling) It
      > can be made with meat (pork or beef) or fish (using every thing but the
      > scales and eyes, the latter being used for fish bait-nothing went to waste)
      > In our family, generally an Easter treat, with horseradish or hot mustard. A

      What you are talkling about is "studen" (STOO-din), the same thing as
      "kholodets" (khoh-loh-DEHTS), a meat or fish aspic. Yes, tasty. "Salo" is
      basically salted lard, although in consistency and taste it's more like the
      fat in bacon.

      Predslava.