Card Game: "Svoi Kozyri" and "Voz"

  • marc_365@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 7:11 AM
      When I was growing up in North America, my late grandfather,
      originally from Belarus, taught us the card game Voz. I forgot the
      rules, but yesterday I ran into a site on the internet that explained
      the rules to a Russian card game known as "Svoi Kozyri" ("One's own
      trumps"), which is the game my grandfather called Voz.

      http://www.pagat.com/beating/svoi_kozyri.html

      The web rules acknowledge that there are variants of the game in
      regards to the number of cards that must be picked up if an
      opponent's card can't be beat. My grandfather's version was different
      from the web version in that a person who could not beat an
      opponent's card always had to pick up the whole pile, in contrast to
      the web rules where the whole or less than the whole pile needed to
      be picked up, depending on the circumstances.)

      Has anyone else ever heard of this game being referred to as Voz?
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5 7:09 AM
        It is very similar to the game we call "Durak" (or, "The Idiot", "The Stupid
        One"). We played it either with a 36-card or a 52-card deck, with slightly
        different rules for each deck. The pile would be cleared after each play,
        either by being discarded or by having the player pick it up if he couldn't
        "beat" it. A variant called "Podkidnoi Durak" ("Throw-in Idiot") has the
        additional variation that all players can add their cards to the attacker's,
        but only to match the number of cards the defender holds. The loser is "the
        idiot," or in proper terms, he "is left the idiot." As I played often with my
        parents, I couldn't say that, of course, so we had to shorten the expression
        "he/she is left [behind]".

        It's a fun game, it does involve a little bit of strategy, but mostly it's
        fast-paced and straightforward. If we played with a 52-card deck, we could
        have more than 4 players.

        Of course, these are not period games.

        Predslava.