Re: [sig] salo

  • Robert J Welenc
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2001
      >It's pretty much all fat. As to how central to Ukrainian cuisine it
      is,
      >here's a funny little story from Ukraine:
      >
      >A man says: "When I am king, I will eat "salo" with "salo" [as
      opposed to
      >with bread], and honey with honey [again, as opposed to as a
      sweetener]."

      >Kings are supposed to enjoy the best foods -- does that answer the
      question?

      Or is that the Ukrainian peasant's idea of rich? Like the song from
      'Fiddler on the Roof' where Tevye sings 'If I Were a Rich Man'? Where
      'rich' means "a fine tin roof and a real wooden floor" and a yard
      filled with poultry!

      Alanna
      ***********
      Saying of the day: Give life -- give blood.
      My dear friends, I'm not allowed to donate blood any longer. Please
      call your local Red Cross and do it for me.
    • sergius
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 7:11 PM
        What's known as salo sounds an awful lot like stoogin (phonetic spelling) It
        can be made with meat (pork or beef) or fish (using every thing but the
        scales and eyes, the latter being used for fish bait-nothing went to waste)
        In our family, generally an Easter treat, with horseradish or hot mustard. A
        melt in your mouth taste treat....for some. Sergei Bulutnikov
      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5 7:11 AM
          In a message dated 7/1/2001 9:11:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
          sergius@... writes:

          > What's known as salo sounds an awful lot like stoogin (phonetic spelling) It
          > can be made with meat (pork or beef) or fish (using every thing but the
          > scales and eyes, the latter being used for fish bait-nothing went to waste)
          > In our family, generally an Easter treat, with horseradish or hot mustard. A

          What you are talkling about is "studen" (STOO-din), the same thing as
          "kholodets" (khoh-loh-DEHTS), a meat or fish aspic. Yes, tasty. "Salo" is
          basically salted lard, although in consistency and taste it's more like the
          fat in bacon.

          Predslava.