Pennsic classes and SIG party

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001
      Time for the annual run-down of Slavic-themed Pennsic classes! Plenty of
      Viking and Mongol classes this year, so many that I am not going to list
      them all. I hope that all who attend this year will have lots of good
      stories and information to share with us when you return! I didn't list
      the times and dates for any of the classes, mostly because there is usually
      more than one session.

      --Yana

      from <http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn30/>

      Meetings
      Slavic Interest Group Gathering
      Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
      Mon, 13
      7:00 PM
      Those with Slavic (Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Slovene, Czech, Slovak,
      Serbian, Croat, Bulgarian, Belarusian, Wendish and Sorb) and other Eastern
      European personas will gather to meet, mingle, and discuss things Slavic!
      Bring your Slavic handiwork for the display table! Slavic snacks are
      welcome, too.

      Nalbinding: Russian
      H Lady Sigrid Briansdotter
      Practiced in Finland near the Russian border, this nalbinding variant
      creates a very tight, thin fabric that has three loops around the back of
      the thumb at all times. Hald cites Vahter's description of a 14th century
      Finnish mitten made using this variant of nalbinding. You must have
      previous competence with at least one other variant of nalbinding
      (recommended more than one) and be comfortable with thumb tensioning. Fee
      includes a needle, one skein appropriate weight single-ply wool, and a
      short handout.

      Herbs of Eastern Europe
      Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
      Overview and hands-on demonstration of herbs and spices probably in Poland,
      the Rus, etc.

      Early Byzantine Garb for Men
      Baroness Mairi ni Raghaillaigh
      Byzantine costume for men 5th-9th centuries.Includes basic garments, fabric
      choices, cutting/layout, trimming, accessories and putting it all
      together.Discussion of Byzantine costuming pitfalls and how to avoid them
      as well as the "Persian" (Sassanian) influence on Byzantine men's clothing
      and its later influence on Western Europe.

      Early Byzantine Garb for Women
      Baroness Mairi ni Raghaillaigh
      Byzantine costume for women 5th-9th centuries.Includes basic garments,
      fabric choices, cutting/layout, trimming, accessories (including
      hairstyles, headdresses and jewelry) and putting it all together.
      Discussion of Byzantine costuming pitfalls and how to avoid them, as well
      as the influences of late Roman costume on Byzantine women, and the later
      influence of Byzantine women's costume on Western Europe.

      Food of Medieval Eastern Europe
      Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
      Although recipe resources are scarce for Poland, Rus, Hungary, etc.,
      information on foods, cooking techniques, and meals are available. General
      overview of food and cooking, related to period cooking in general; review
      of sources.

      A Russo-Greco Hand Suitable for Byzantine Personae
      Baroness Danabren Madadh-Mara
      A calligraphic hand for Byzantine and Russian personae, for personal or
      scribal use.Handout, $1.

      Eastern Vikings: The Founding of Rus
      Lady Anastasiia Kyrilovna Ivanova
      Overview of the history and theories of the founding of the Rus
      kingdom.Includes importance of eastern trade routes as like between Europe
      and Byzantium, as well as the role of Norse traders in the founding of
      Russia, with a look at competing theories downplaying the role of the Vikings.