Re: [sig] RE: Russia Anyone?

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 5, 2001
      In a message dated 6/4/2001 11:56:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
      gavrick95@... writes:

      More scholars tend to take it as genuine than not. The "faking" of it in the
      XVIII century is very unlikely. Old Russian was not known then as well as it
      is now. A good annotated translation (out of print but available at most
      college libraries) is Vladimir Nabokov's (yes, THE Vladimir Nabokov of
      _Lolita_ fame) _The Song of Igor's Campaign_. For those who read Russian, D.
      Likhachev's articles on the subject are also well worth reading. I think some
      of them have been translated into English, but I'm not sure, and I don't have
      any refs. (that's what avoiding translations gets you; so why V.N.'s? Because
      of the notes).

      Predslava.