Tapping into the collective knowledge: food and herbs

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2001
      This Pennsic, I'll be teaching my Food and Drink of Medieval Eastern Europe class again,
      and also teaching a new class of Herbs and Spices of Eastern Europe.

      I'm hoping that this group, with its wide reading, can alert me to information
      sources/bits of documentation I'm not aware of. If you've come across some piece of
      information about foodways or herbs in medieval Eastern Europe in your reading, I'd like
      to hear about it.

      I have already looked at the article "Food in the Primary Chronicle", at the Domostroi,
      at _Bread and Salt_, Knab's _Polish Herbs Flowers and Folk Remedies_ and Dembinska &
      Weaver's _Food and Drink in Medieval Poland_. I'm looking at Lang's Hungarian cookbook
      soon, and also will try to incorporate some material from Rumpolt.

      The existing handout is online here:
      http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/jadwiga/slavicfood.html

      I'm expecially looking for any good documentation things Czech, Slavonian, Lithuanian or
      Hungarian.
    • stasi.wa
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2001