Re: Russia Anyone?

  • Amethyst Goddess
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hello! Well I'm glad there's people interested in Russia! My time
      period is early to mid-1500's...I am wondering where everyone got
      their research and information? I'm trying to find information on
      religion in Russia, daily life, what the houses/castles looked like,
      clothes, etc. etc....
      :)
    • Kristina Jarvis
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2001
        Well, the first place you should check out is the Medieval Russia page (
        http://medievalrussia.freeservers.com ). There you will fin many links to
        many of your questions.

        Next, get a hold of a copy of the Domostroi. It's a book that was written
        uring the time of Ivan the Terrible about how to run a proper russian
        household....very good for getting an idea as to how their family structure
        worked and what the mindset was about life back then.

        Good luck and welcome!

        Pomestnitsa (Lady) Kseniia Nikolaeva doch'
        MKA: Kristina Jarvis
        "This above all; To thine own self be true"
        Hello! Well I'm glad there's people interested in Russia! My time
        period is early to mid-1500's...I am wondering where everyone got
        their research and information? I'm trying to find information on
        religion in Russia, daily life, what the houses/castles looked like,
        clothes, etc. etc....
        :)

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • gabriel m jones
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2001
          Hello,

          Sorry, this may be a bit long.

          Well, most information that I learned in my early studies came from my mentor, advisor, and frankly the God Father of my academic education: Dr. Daniel Rowland. He's an excellent source for medieval Russian culture, especially social uses of architecture.

          Since then, I have had more instructors and a ton of research at UM (Ann Arbor). They have a decent library for East European studies, much better than at UK.

          If you know practically nothing about Russian history, I guess the best start would be Ryaisnosky and Dymatriskian. These two authors seem to be general reads all over the US. I think Ryasinosky has several blindspots in his approach to Russian history, but it's a good over all start.

          As for building blocks, anything with Dr. Rowland is good. Also, reading Dr. Kennan will balance out Dr. Rowland concerning the nobility. Rowland is an optimist and Keenan is rather cynical.

          Others to check out include Janet Martin (I really encourage you to read her book on the fur trade) and Valerie Kivelson. Kivelson's web page with all her published works listed can be located here:
          "http://www.lsa.umich.edu/history/facstaff/faculty/Kivelson.html" Though please note, that it doesn't list her Orthodox and sexuality book, another book I suggest.

          You may also wish to read the book whose title I can't recall... perhaps someone could email her the title... about the medieval Russian myths, tales, etc. It includes the historically fake "Lay of Igor's Campaign." (Talk with/Read Dr. Keenan about it being fake.) It also includes the "Descent of Mary into Hell."

          That's enough advice from me; that's a good size list.

          Oh, as far as good costuming books, I don't know of any. Perhaps someone else would be so kind as to offer a good start.

          Hope this helps,
          Gabriel/Gavrick Gavrilovich

          Message: 2
          > Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 15:21:45 -0000
          > From: "Amethyst Goddess" <samhain_fire@...>
          >Subject: Re: Russia Anyone?
          >
          >Hello! Well I'm glad there's people interested in Russia! My time
          >period is early to mid-1500's...I am wondering where everyone got
          >their research and information? I'm trying to find information on
          >religion in Russia, daily life, what the houses/castles looked like,
          >clothes, etc. etc....
          >:)

          Get 250 color business cards for FREE!
        • MHoll@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 5, 2001
            In a message dated 6/4/2001 11:56:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
            gavrick95@... writes:

            More scholars tend to take it as genuine than not. The "faking" of it in the
            XVIII century is very unlikely. Old Russian was not known then as well as it
            is now. A good annotated translation (out of print but available at most
            college libraries) is Vladimir Nabokov's (yes, THE Vladimir Nabokov of
            _Lolita_ fame) _The Song of Igor's Campaign_. For those who read Russian, D.
            Likhachev's articles on the subject are also well worth reading. I think some
            of them have been translated into English, but I'm not sure, and I don't have
            any refs. (that's what avoiding translations gets you; so why V.N.'s? Because
            of the notes).

            Predslava.