Footwear

  • Juliana Taper
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2 8:22 AM
      > Good morning everyone!

      Okay, I've got a name, a sarafan, a blouse, a kokoshnik (probably not correct for my area, but Shhhhh! Don't Tell!) and a little blue card that says I can venture into SCA Events. And then it dawned on me -- Eeeep! I don't have any shoes!

      I've seen the sketches on Sofya's web site. Can someone tell me how to reproduce them? Is there a merchant that sells a reasonable facsimile without requiring a second mortgage on the house? Or should I just take teeny weeny steps so no one can see my feet under my sarafan? ::Grin::

      Iul'iana

    • Juliana Taper
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5 8:08 AM
        > Thank you so much for your reply. I will take a look at the links you sent me
        > and see what I can put together.

        I was looking at a pair of Persian boots with slightly upturned toes from a
        merchant by the name of Bohemand and was wondering if they would be passable as
        Russian.
        Would you mind taking a peek and letting me know?
        http://www.highfiber.com/~bohemond/Bootshop/pers.html#persian
        (I'd be taking a pass on the yin & yang symbol ::wink::)

        Also, I wanted to let you know that I think your web site is absolutely grand!
        I love it!

        Thank you again,

        Iul'iana
      • Diane S. Sawyer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5 3:25 PM
          --- Juliana Taper <jtaper1@...> wrote:
          > I was looking at a pair of Persian boots with slightly upturned
          > toes from a
          > merchant by the name of Bohemand and was wondering if they would be
          > passable as
          > Russian.
          > Would you mind taking a peek and letting me know?
          > http://www.highfiber.com/~bohemond/Bootshop/pers.html#persian
          > (I'd be taking a pass on the yin & yang symbol ::wink::)
          {snip}

          If you get to Pennsic, this merchant does sell there.

          Tasha

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Lente
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5 5:52 PM
            Bohemond lives in Al-Barran in the Outlands, where I'm at, a large portion
            of the populace has his boots and love (like?) them, I don't have his but we
            got ours long before we started SCA-ing. Plain boots probably run less, in
            otherwords no yin/yang or other attached design and they probably will run
            less. If you are going to Pennsic what you can do right now is email him and
            start finding out what funds have to change hands for your boots to be
            started, working on colors, changes you would like,etc. Who knows, they
            might just be done in time for you to pick up at Pennsic.

            Kathws

            Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6 7:20 AM
              There's alot of crossover between Russian and Persian
              styles of clothing, from the early Rus onwards. In
              fact, some of the graves from Viking period Birka
              contain interned bodies wearing Persian riding coats.
              As for those with a late period Russian persona like
              me, half my caftans are interchangeable Persian,
              Russian designs. I'll get deeper into that in An Tir
              in the Fall though.
              P.S. Tasha, a thousand thanks for posting that. I now
              know whatmy Pennsic purchase is going to be, Persian
              boots.
              'dak

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6 9:34 AM
                --- Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:
                > There's alot of crossover between Russian and Persian
                > styles of clothing, from the early Rus onwards. In
                > fact, some of the graves from Viking period Birka
                > contain interned bodies wearing Persian riding coats.
                > As for those with a late period Russian persona like
                > me, half my caftans are interchangeable Persian,
                > Russian designs. I'll get deeper into that in An Tir
                > in the Fall though.
                > P.S. Tasha, a thousand thanks for posting that. I now
                > know whatmy Pennsic purchase is going to be, Persian
                > boots.
                > 'dak

                My pleasure! I'd considered buying a pair myself, but for slightly
                more money ($50-100 or so, I think) I can get Mongolian boots, from
                Mongolia yet, and since I wear Mongol more often than Russian these
                days, it makes more sense for me.

                *sigh* someday...