  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 1999
      Slavic Interest Group Mailing List (SIG-L) Frequently Asked Questions
      Last update: September 6, 1999

      Main SIG page
      http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html

      Main SIG-L pages:
      http://www.onelist.com/community/sig
      http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/sig_list.html

      SIG Archives
      http://www.onelist.com/archive/sig
      http://sig-arc.hypermart.net/ (older)

      SIG organizer
      Paul Wickenden of Thanet (goldschp@...)

      SIG-L moderators
      Default (sig-owner@onelist.com)
      Yana (jdmiller2@...)
      Liudmila (LiudmilaV@...)

      List Basics

      ** What is sig@onelist.com?
      The SIG List (hereafter called "SIG-L") provides a discussion forum on the
      history and culture of the Medieval Slavic, Eastern European, and Central
      European world. We are aimed specifically towards members of the Society
      for Creative Anachronism (SCA) with Slavic, Eastern European, and Central
      European personas, but we provide information and resources to anyone.

      ** Are SIG-L and the Slavic Interest Group the same organization?
      No. SIG-L is an offshoot of the larger and older Slavic Interest Group
      (hereafter called "SIG"). SIG-L was established as a way for members of
      SIG to talk to each other more quickly than via the quarterly newsletter.
      Please remember that not all the members of SIG are on SIG-L and vice
      versa. This means that if you are a member of SIG-L, it does not
      automatically make you a member of SIG. To become a member of SIG, write
      to the SIG organizer at goldschp@... or go to
      http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html and follow the links there.
      Membership is free. We just ask that you be willing to share what you know
      with the rest of us.

      ** What cultures does SIG-L cover?
      SIG-L (and SIG) covers all the former members of the Soviet Union (just for
      convenience, no political agenda is implied). We encompass the medieval
      cultures of Russia, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania, Transylvania, Latvia,
      Lithuania, Karelia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia,
      Bosnia, Dalmatia, Albania, Poland, Estonia, Belarus, Moldova, Armenia,
      Georgia, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan, Kirgizistan, Kazakhstan,
      Turkestan, Khazaria, and any related ethnic groups.. We aren't _just_ a
      Slavic organization, it is just simpler to call ourselves "SIG" instead of
      trying to incorporate the initials of all the countries and groups we cover.

      ** You mentioned a newsletter...
      SIG publishes "Slovo", our quarterly newsletter. "Slovo" means "word" in
      many Slavic languages, so we thought it would be a good name for the
      newsletter. It comes out in the middle of the months of January, April,
      July and October. The submission deadlines are the first of those same
      months. Slovo is available free on the web off the main SIG page. Back
      issues are also archived there. If you need a paper copy, write to the
      editor at goldschp@.... Paper copies are also free, but donations
      are cheerfully accepted to cover copying and mailing costs.

      ** Does SIG-L have archives?
      Yes, in two places. The older archives can be viewed at
      http://sig-arc.hypermart.net/ The more recent archives are at
      http://www.onelist.com/archive/sig

      ** What can I talk about here on SIG-L?
      Anything relating to (approximately) pre-1650 Slavic or Eastern or Central
      European history and culture or anything Slavic, Eastern European or
      Central European as it pertains to the SCA is welcome here.

      ** What is not permitted on the list?
      a) Personal Flamewars
      b) Ethnic and Regional insults. This is not acceptable here.
      c) UCE (Unsolicited Commercial Email). Commercial posts are welcome as
      long as they are not frequent in nature, you send a copy to one of the list
      moderators before you post AND you are given permission by one of the
      moderators.

      ** What are the basic commands for this list?
      SIG-L is based off ONEList, a web-based provider. You can manage your
      account through their web site at: http://www.onelist.com Simply enter
      your email address and the password you were given when you subscribed and
      follow the directions there.

      ** What if I don't have web-access?
      Not a problem, you can still manage your subscription easily. Send a blank
      email (no message or subject) to the appropriate address below:

      sig-subscribe@onelist.com - subscribe to SIG

      Be sure to reply to any message that ONEList sends you about your account.
      If you don't reply, ONEList may think you didn't want to really
      subscribe/unsubscribe/change your settings. This is a safety precaution
      done to prevent subscribers from being the victims of pranksters.

      **I'm on the digest. How do I reply to separate messages?
      To reply to a message found on the digest, 'cut' the contents of the
      message that you wish to quote, 'paste' it in a message to sig@onelist.com,
      and add your comments. Make sure you do NOT reply directly to the From:
      field on the digest! If this becomes a habit, then you will be put on a
      moderated status and misdirected replies will be silently deleted.

      ~~~ For courtesy's sake, please clip your posts! This means only quoting
      what is relevant to your own post and not including the entire letter
      unless absolutely necessary (which is extremely rare). It gets very
      annoying very quickly to have to page down through an entire letter (or
      more!) that someone has stuck on the end of their reply. ~~~

      Research

      ** Can you recommend some books for different eras and peoples?
      There is an extensive bibliography (with notes) on the web at the main SIG
      page You can also write to the list and ask for recommendations or reviews
      of specific books, but it is a lot faster if you look at the SIG
      bibliography first.

      ** Where can I find help developing my persona?
      You are in luck! There are several web pages that members of SIG-L have
      created. We call them Knowledge Pages. They are aimed towards a specific
      country and include information on dress, food, naming practices, persona
      development, history, language and other themes. Simply find the Knowledge
      Page you wish and read, read, read!

      **What are "the Knowledge Pages?"
      They are a series of country-based web pages that are organized using
      similar subject categories to aid research. Here you can find information
      on a wide variety of subjects such as food, dress, persona development,
      history and much more. Here are the Knowledge Pages we have so far:

      CROATIA
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1336/croatia/

      GEORGIA/CAUCAUSES
      http://www.angelfire.com/or/caucasus

      HUNGARY
      http://tulgey.browser.net/~hungary/

      POLAND
      http://tulgey.browser.net/~jenne/poland/index.html

      ROMANIA
      http://members.xoom.com/Cosmotopia/romania/indexr.html

      RUSSIA
      http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2/knowledge/main.html
      (For now, this includes Ukraine, as well as ethnic groups residing in the
      modern day Russian Federation)

      SLOVAKIA/CZECH REPUBLIC
      http://www.crosswinds.net/czech-rep/~anezka/knowledge.html

      Knowledge Pages in the works:
      --Transylvania
      --The Baltics (Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia)

      ** Where can I find someone near me?
      Feel free to ask on SIG-L! This is also where becoming a member of SIG
      comes in handy. SIG maintains a member list that lists name, location,
      interests and contact information. You can simply scan the list and
      contact whoever you choose. It is linked off the main SIG page under
      "members".

      ** Are there recipes for my culture? Where would I find them?
      ** Where can I get ideas for clothing from my culture?
      ** What about music and art?

      To all the above: First, check out the appropriate Knowledge Page for the
      culture in question. You might also want to check out the Florilegium, a
      major collection of messages arranged by subject headings. The Florilegium
      is at http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html
      If you can't find answers there, try writing to the List.

      We hope this FAQ has been helpful. If you have any further questions or
      suggestions, please let us know.

      Happy Researching!
    • Leslie Helms
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 1999
        The FAQ looks very good to me. Nice work.

        I assume that it's to be provided to new subscribers, and that's why there
        is no "how to subscribe" section. (At least I couldn't find one, so if
        it's there it's not obvious.) However, the FAQ may get handed (or emailed)
        to interested people who aren't yet subscribed, so it seems that it might
        be good to have a bare-bones section describing how to sign up.

        Larisa Ivanova
      • BanAvtai@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 1999
          jdmiller2@... writes:

          << We hope this FAQ has been helpful. If you have any further questions or
          suggestions, please let us know.

          I think it is just great! Thanks for the hard work!

          Iul'iana
        • Alastair Millar
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
            Couple of minor thingamajigs...

            1. The FAQ still lists the *old* Czech Knowledge Page address...

            2. Can I agitate a bit and ask for Great Moravia to be added to the list of
            countries covered in the FAQ, too? (OK I know it's not a country and that
            geographically its part of several of the countries listed... but that
            applies to Transylvania too, and that's on the list...)

            Alastair
          • Smith, Jeffrey C., Mr
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2002
              Hello!

              Adding Great Moravia sounds like a good idea to me, and I'd have no problem
              in a general way adding other "extinct" nations, if someone is willing to
              put together a website on them (e.g., the Avars, the Prussians [they may be
              on the Baltic page, haven't checked]).

              Janos

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2002
                I've added Great Moravia to the list of countries/nations/whatever in
                the group's description. I did have a question: What is the
                difference between Moravia (already in the list) and Great Moravia?

                --Yana, being iggerant today