Re: [sig] simple hat question

  • stasi.wa
    Message 1 of 8 , May 17, 2001
      Hi,
      from what I have researched it depends on the period but usually unmarried
      Russian girls did not have veils beacause it was part of the marriage
      ceremony to add veils and coifs to cover the hair.
      Anastasia
      Message 2 of 8 , May 17, 2001
        > Hi,
        > from what I have researched it depends on the period but usually unmarried
        > Russian girls did not have veils beacause it was part of the marriage
        > ceremony to add veils and coifs to cover the hair.
        > Anastasia

        (jumping in on the thread) ...So, would an unmarried Russian young woman
        wear a sort of hat, or headdress? I am thinking more of mid-13th cent.
        Kievan Rus; I think I have heard that headbands were worn or some type of
        headdress with scented wool but I am still looking for pictures of the
        latter, and am unclear on whether or not this was maiden material or
        reserved for married women.

        --Sofya Chyudka
      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 21, 2001
          Unmarried girls could wear their hair braided (one braid), or loose. They
          could wear headdresses that were not closed, crown-like, or the
          crescent-shaped kokoshnik, or headbands, either fabric or metal (yeah, it
          would be a problem with our crowned heads; better stick to the fabric ones).
          In any case, their headdress WOULD NOT cover their hair completely.
          I'd like to find a reference to a scented-wool headdress in period. Never
          came across that one.

        • MHoll@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 22, 2001
            In a message dated 5/22/2001 9:08:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
            lisa-kies@... writes:

            > I suspect that the "scented-wool headdress" was actually referring to
            > kolti which could contain bits of cloth soaked in aromatic oils according to
            > Pushkareva.

            Makes sense. Shows you what a hyphen means. I had read scented woolen
            headdresses, so I had the image of some sort of woolen headdress soaked in
            perfume. *That* made no sense.

            Predslava
            who once read "preferred cucumbers" instead of "preferred customers". My
            daughter, who is a witness, is still laughing.

          • Anne M. McKinney
            Message 5 of 8 , May 25, 2001
              > Unmarried girls could wear their hair braided (one braid), or loose. They
              > could wear headdresses that were not closed, crown-like, or the
              > crescent-shaped kokoshnik, or headbands, either fabric or metal (yeah, it
              > would be a problem with our crowned heads; better stick to the fabric
              ones).
              > In any case, their headdress WOULD NOT cover their hair completely.
              > I'd like to find a reference to a scented-wool headdress in period. Never
              > came across that one.

              Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this one. I was referring to
              "Women's Clothing in Kievan Rus" by Sofya la Rus at
              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWChead.html

              "Kolta: Koltas, hollow metal hemispheres filled with bits of cloth soaked
              in aromatic resins, could also decorate venets or hair, hanging from chains
              of various lengths." In retrospect I was mistaken about the cloth
              necessarily being wool, but that is what I had in mind in my previous post.

              My lady Sofya la Rus, your sites have been very helpful to me so far in
              making garb and other accessories. I tried the site you offered at
              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/KWC.html
              that was to have pictures of these headdresses, but it came up unfound on
              my browser. Might there be a different way to view it?

              --Sofya Chyudka
            • Anne M. McKinney
              Message 6 of 8 , May 25, 2001
                > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC.html (the introduction page)
                > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/examples.html (the illustrations
                > page)
                >
                > Also http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Garb has all my scanned
                > sketches, including some I may not have integrated into the website, yet.
                >
                > I hope they help.
                >
                > Sofya la Rus

                They do! Thank you very much! ^__^
                --Sofya Chyudka