Re: [sig] simple hat question

  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 17, 2001
      In a message dated 5/17/2001 6:21:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      aheilvei@... writes:

      << On an unmarried young Russian woman, would she have a veil covering her
      hair at the back of her hat or not?

      I believe she might or might not have a veil, but in no case it would
      completely cover her hair.

      Liudmila
    • stasi.wa
      Message 2 of 8 , May 17, 2001
        Hi,
        from what I have researched it depends on the period but usually unmarried
        Russian girls did not have veils beacause it was part of the marriage
        ceremony to add veils and coifs to cover the hair.
        Anastasia
        >On an unmarried young Russian woman, would she have a veil covering her
        >hair at the back of her hat or not?
        >
        >Despina who was asked and said she'd inquire

        NetZero Platinum
        No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
        Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
        http://www.netzero.net
      • Anne M. McKinney
        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2001
          > Hi,
          > from what I have researched it depends on the period but usually unmarried
          > Russian girls did not have veils beacause it was part of the marriage
          > ceremony to add veils and coifs to cover the hair.
          > Anastasia

          (jumping in on the thread) ...So, would an unmarried Russian young woman
          wear a sort of hat, or headdress? I am thinking more of mid-13th cent.
          Kievan Rus; I think I have heard that headbands were worn or some type of
          headdress with scented wool but I am still looking for pictures of the
          latter, and am unclear on whether or not this was maiden material or
          reserved for married women.

          --Sofya Chyudka
        • MHoll@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 21, 2001
            Unmarried girls could wear their hair braided (one braid), or loose. They
            could wear headdresses that were not closed, crown-like, or the
            crescent-shaped kokoshnik, or headbands, either fabric or metal (yeah, it
            would be a problem with our crowned heads; better stick to the fabric ones).
            In any case, their headdress WOULD NOT cover their hair completely.
            I'd like to find a reference to a scented-wool headdress in period. Never
            came across that one.

          • MHoll@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 22, 2001
              In a message dated 5/22/2001 9:08:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
              lisa-kies@... writes:

              > I suspect that the "scented-wool headdress" was actually referring to
              > kolti which could contain bits of cloth soaked in aromatic oils according to
              > Pushkareva.

              Makes sense. Shows you what a hyphen means. I had read scented woolen
              headdresses, so I had the image of some sort of woolen headdress soaked in
              perfume. *That* made no sense.

              Predslava
              who once read "preferred cucumbers" instead of "preferred customers". My
              daughter, who is a witness, is still laughing.

            • Anne M. McKinney
              Message 6 of 8 , May 25, 2001
                > Unmarried girls could wear their hair braided (one braid), or loose. They
                > could wear headdresses that were not closed, crown-like, or the
                > crescent-shaped kokoshnik, or headbands, either fabric or metal (yeah, it
                > would be a problem with our crowned heads; better stick to the fabric
                ones).
                > In any case, their headdress WOULD NOT cover their hair completely.
                > I'd like to find a reference to a scented-wool headdress in period. Never
                > came across that one.

                Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this one. I was referring to
                "Women's Clothing in Kievan Rus" by Sofya la Rus at
                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWChead.html

                "Kolta: Koltas, hollow metal hemispheres filled with bits of cloth soaked
                in aromatic resins, could also decorate venets or hair, hanging from chains
                of various lengths." In retrospect I was mistaken about the cloth
                necessarily being wool, but that is what I had in mind in my previous post.

                My lady Sofya la Rus, your sites have been very helpful to me so far in
                making garb and other accessories. I tried the site you offered at
                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/KWC.html
                that was to have pictures of these headdresses, but it came up unfound on
                my browser. Might there be a different way to view it?

                --Sofya Chyudka
              • Anne M. McKinney
                Message 7 of 8 , May 25, 2001
                  > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC.html (the introduction page)
                  > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/examples.html (the illustrations
                  > page)
                  >
                  > Also http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Garb has all my scanned
                  > sketches, including some I may not have integrated into the website, yet.
                  >
                  > I hope they help.
                  >
                  > Sofya la Rus

                  They do! Thank you very much! ^__^
                  --Sofya Chyudka