simple hat question

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 8 , May 17, 2001
      On an unmarried young Russian woman, would she have a veil covering her
      hair at the back of her hat or not?

      Despina who was asked and said she'd inquire

    • LiudmilaV@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 17, 2001
        In a message dated 5/17/2001 6:21:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        aheilvei@... writes:

        << On an unmarried young Russian woman, would she have a veil covering her
        hair at the back of her hat or not?

        I believe she might or might not have a veil, but in no case it would
        completely cover her hair.

        Liudmila
      • stasi.wa
        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2001
          Hi,
          from what I have researched it depends on the period but usually unmarried
          Russian girls did not have veils beacause it was part of the marriage
          ceremony to add veils and coifs to cover the hair.
          Anastasia
          >On an unmarried young Russian woman, would she have a veil covering her
          >hair at the back of her hat or not?
          >
          >Despina who was asked and said she'd inquire

          NetZero Platinum
          No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
          Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
          http://www.netzero.net
        • Anne M. McKinney
          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2001
            > Hi,
            > from what I have researched it depends on the period but usually unmarried
            > Russian girls did not have veils beacause it was part of the marriage
            > ceremony to add veils and coifs to cover the hair.
            > Anastasia

            (jumping in on the thread) ...So, would an unmarried Russian young woman
            wear a sort of hat, or headdress? I am thinking more of mid-13th cent.
            Kievan Rus; I think I have heard that headbands were worn or some type of
            headdress with scented wool but I am still looking for pictures of the
            latter, and am unclear on whether or not this was maiden material or
            reserved for married women.

            --Sofya Chyudka
          • MHoll@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 21, 2001
              Unmarried girls could wear their hair braided (one braid), or loose. They
              could wear headdresses that were not closed, crown-like, or the
              crescent-shaped kokoshnik, or headbands, either fabric or metal (yeah, it
              would be a problem with our crowned heads; better stick to the fabric ones).
              In any case, their headdress WOULD NOT cover their hair completely.
              I'd like to find a reference to a scented-wool headdress in period. Never
              came across that one.

            • MHoll@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 22, 2001
                In a message dated 5/22/2001 9:08:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
                lisa-kies@... writes:

                > I suspect that the "scented-wool headdress" was actually referring to
                > kolti which could contain bits of cloth soaked in aromatic oils according to
                > Pushkareva.

                Makes sense. Shows you what a hyphen means. I had read scented woolen
                headdresses, so I had the image of some sort of woolen headdress soaked in
                perfume. *That* made no sense.

                Predslava
                who once read "preferred cucumbers" instead of "preferred customers". My
                daughter, who is a witness, is still laughing.

              • Anne M. McKinney
                Message 7 of 8 , May 25, 2001
                  > Unmarried girls could wear their hair braided (one braid), or loose. They
                  > could wear headdresses that were not closed, crown-like, or the
                  > crescent-shaped kokoshnik, or headbands, either fabric or metal (yeah, it
                  > would be a problem with our crowned heads; better stick to the fabric
                  ones).
                  > In any case, their headdress WOULD NOT cover their hair completely.
                  > I'd like to find a reference to a scented-wool headdress in period. Never
                  > came across that one.

                  Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this one. I was referring to
                  "Women's Clothing in Kievan Rus" by Sofya la Rus at
                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWChead.html

                  "Kolta: Koltas, hollow metal hemispheres filled with bits of cloth soaked
                  in aromatic resins, could also decorate venets or hair, hanging from chains
                  of various lengths." In retrospect I was mistaken about the cloth
                  necessarily being wool, but that is what I had in mind in my previous post.

                  My lady Sofya la Rus, your sites have been very helpful to me so far in
                  making garb and other accessories. I tried the site you offered at
                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/KWC.html
                  that was to have pictures of these headdresses, but it came up unfound on
                  my browser. Might there be a different way to view it?

                  --Sofya Chyudka
                • Anne M. McKinney
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 25, 2001
                    > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC.html (the introduction page)
                    > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/examples.html (the illustrations
                    > page)
                    >
                    > Also http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Garb has all my scanned
                    > sketches, including some I may not have integrated into the website, yet.
                    >
                    > I hope they help.
                    >
                    > Sofya la Rus

                    They do! Thank you very much! ^__^
                    --Sofya Chyudka