Oksana, Oxana

  • mike@behindthename.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2001
      Hi, I'm new to this group. Hope this post isn't considered off-topic.

      I'm looking for the meaning and origins of the Ukrainian / Russian first
      name Oksana. It's usually defined as a Hebrew name though I had always
      believed it to be a Ukrainian form of the Greek name Xenia. However I was
      recently told that it was related to Roksana, the Russian form of the
      Persian name Roxane.

      Anyone have any ideas?

      ..Mike
    • Anthony J. Bryant
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2001
        Mike wrote:

        > I'm looking for the meaning and origins of the Ukrainian / Russian first
        > name Oksana. It's usually defined as a Hebrew name though I had always
        > believed it to be a Ukrainian form of the Greek name Xenia. However I was
        > recently told that it was related to Roksana, the Russian form of the
        > Persian name Roxane.

        According to the Slovar Russkikh Lichnykh Imen, Oksana comes from Kseniya
        which itself has roots in the Greek Xenia.

        Roksana, the dictionary says, is from the GREEK Roxane, who was wife of
        Alexander the Great.

        Effingham