Re: [sig] David Nicolle

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2001
      In a message dated 4/20/2001 12:05:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
      dvryaboy@... writes:

      > Unfortunatelly, although David Nicolle does a lot of great work and has put
      > a lot of stuff otherwise unavailable in English out there, you have to be
      > careful when using his books. Sometimes his source seems to be David
      > Nicolle, PhD.
      >
      > This is not to say that you should not rely on him -- you should, but
      > double
      > check the sources when able.

      I second that. I own, in fact, Nicolle's book _Peipus 1242_ (BTW, it is, or
      was, difficult to find at Barnes and Noble on-line because of a cataloguing
      mistake). I have used that book, I like the photographs and the maps, but his
      historical overview is extremely confusing and required double-checking every
      fact. His bibliography was more useful than the book itself. I have some
      problems with the illustrations in the book, and with his statements about
      the composition of the Russian army.