Re: [sig] Klobuky

  • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2001
      Greetings Mr. White Croat
      -- I am either Mr Ryaboy, or Lord Shelomianin, but not visa versa :).
      The URL that finally got through to the list a few hours ago that leads to
      the images of the face-mask helms are what I referred to as "cool armour".

      I am interested by your mension of permanent Black Klobuk garrisons in the
      city of Kiev -- can you provide more info about that, as well as the
      intermarriage you mention? While I have seen at least a dozen cases of
      Kuman-Rus intermarriage, and a few of Pecheneg-Rus intermarriage, I do not
      specifically recall Black Klobuk-Rus unions.

      Thanks for looking up klobuck in the Ukranian dictionary -- hood makes some
      sense. It would be interesting to find images of what they actually wore,
      though.

      As for your criticism of use of Russian derivatives -- using modern Ukranian
      is no more accurate than using modern Russian. If you want to refer to
      places the way they were referred to in period, we need to get some new
      dictionaries :). Most of my sources are in Russian -- hence the Russian
      names for cities & people in my messages.

      -Dmitriy "Shelomianin" Ryaboy.

    • V. J. Boitchenko
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23, 2001
        Hello Ed!

        You are getting confused with the English terms. The Russians call themselves the Russkiy (literally: of the Rus), the Orthodox Patriarch is the Patriarch of Moscow and all the Rus (Vseya Rusi), the Carpatho-Russians call themselves Rusyns till this day (same as Russkiy) and their language since recently is not considered a dialect of the Ukrainian. The country is however Rossiya and not Rus.

        What you are saying is very ironic, especially considering that all the Rurikovichi moved to Great (Moscow) Rus.

        Venceslav
      • dbonk@town.ci.chapel-hill.nc.us
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2001
          To be entirely correct in the medieval period the area you describe
          should be described as Ruthenia rather than the Ukraine.

          DB
        • Robert J Welenc
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25, 2001
            > Being intruiged by the "Black Caps"/"Chorny Klobuky", I looked up
            "klobuk"
            >in my Ukrainian-English dictionary. Two meanings - fowl and hood,
            that is
            >all. It could be safe to infer that the Black Caps or Karakalpaks
            (as the
            >Golden Horde Khan had called them) wore hoods.

            Although riding off to war with a chicken on one's head presents an .
            . . *interesting* picture!

            Alanna
            Saying of the day: Those who fail to prepare, prepare to fail.