Linen

  • AKC7
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20, 2001
      Yana,
      Irish Linen is alright I would assume? I did find linen, but
      the only true linen was the "Irish" linen. Am I right to assume period
      linen would have little imperfections in it? I bought one that was
      very fine grade with little imperfections compared to the others. But
      it was a tuff decision for me to decide which one to buy.

      thanks,
      Andrew
    • AKC7
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 20, 2001
        > I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that what he meant was that the
        > Irish linen was the only 100% linen available. A lot of times the
        > fabric stores put up big gaudy signs that say LINEN, but when you
        > look at the bolt, it's rayon, or a cotton-linen blend. Very
        > discouraging, and misinformation like that makes me REALLY annoyed.

        You are correct, they had many "Linen-Looking" fabrics such as
        55% linen 45% cotton.... which is less expensive.... but not 100%
        linen.
        I bought mine at Jo-Ann which was "Irish Linen" (IE: 100%) for
        $6.99 a yard. Which is over kill...... <shrug> but ya gotta do what
        ya
        gotta do.
      • Jenn/Yana
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 20, 2001
          > Irish Linen is alright I would assume? I did find linen, but
          >the only true linen was the "Irish" linen. Am I right to assume period
          >linen would have little imperfections in it? I bought one that was
          >very fine grade with little imperfections compared to the others. But
          >it was a tuff decision for me to decide which one to buy.

          You should buy what you feel comfortable with, especially if this is the
          first time you are making a sorochka/rubakha. Period linen came in a range
          of grades and weaves, from coarse with many slubs/imperfections to weaves
          finer that what you can commonly find today. The quality of the linen
          would have been dependant on the availablilty and cost, something that
          would have varied from region to region and class to class, similar to
          today. :-)

          --Yana
        • Amanda Lewanski
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 20, 2001
            AKC7 wrote:

            > Yana,
            > Irish Linen is alright I would assume? I did find linen,
            > but the only true linen was the "Irish" linen.

            I haven't been really paying attention, but isn't linen simply made from
            flax? Why is only Irish linen true linen? Is Irish linen a type of weave
            or something?

            --Amanda, the textile-ly challenged

          • Diane S. Sawyer
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 20, 2001
              --- Amanda Lewanski <editor@...> wrote:
              > AKC7 wrote:
              >
              > > Yana,
              > > Irish Linen is alright I would assume? I did find
              > linen,
              > > but the only true linen was the "Irish" linen.
              >
              > I haven't been really paying attention, but isn't linen simply made
              > from
              > flax? Why is only Irish linen true linen? Is Irish linen a type of
              > weave
              > or something?
              >
              > --Amanda, the textile-ly challenged

              I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that what he meant was that the
              Irish linen was the only 100% linen available. A lot of times the
              fabric stores put up big gaudy signs that say LINEN, but when you
              look at the bolt, it's rayon, or a cotton-linen blend. Very
              discouraging, and misinformation like that makes me REALLY annoyed.

              Tasha
              grumble grumble grumble

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
            • Diane S. Sawyer
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 20, 2001
                {snip}

                > You are correct, they had many "Linen-Looking" fabrics such
                > as
                > 55% linen 45% cotton.... which is less expensive.... but not
                > 100%
                > linen.

                It's not bad, as long as you're willing to put up with the lint. I
                definitely prefer 100% linen... it wears better. I'm not sure but
                what cotlin (cotton-linen) might not hold it's color better... pure
                linen fades badly.

                > I bought mine at Jo-Ann which was "Irish Linen" (IE: 100%) for
                > $6.99 a yard. Which is over kill...... <shrug> but ya gotta do
                > what
                > ya
                > gotta do.

                $6.99's not that bad... it'll wear like iron. There are a couple of
                websites where you can get linen for a little less, and the quailty
                is good.

                http://www.fabrics-store.com/
                http://www.fabricclub.com

                Tasha

                http://auctions.yahoo.com/
              • Jenn/Yana
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 20, 2001
                  > You are correct, they had many "Linen-Looking" fabrics such as
                  >55% linen 45% cotton.... which is less expensive.... but not 100%
                  >linen.

                  Ah, but a blend of linen and cotton IS period, at least for Western Europe.
                  It was called "fustian." I have three "basic SCA" tunics made from
                  medium-weight even-weave fustian, and they are more cool and comfortable
                  than plain cotton of the same weight. I just wish I would have bought more
                  when it was available (lucky Walmart find, $4.99 a yard, 60" wide). If I
                  were you, I'd consider going back and getting the linen/cotton blend. I'll
                  bet it came in some nice colors...

                  --Yana
                • stasi.wa
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 21, 2001