Re: info on winged hussars, late prd Polish

  • landolf@deseretmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13, 2001
      Did I just feel a nudge?<g>
      In the Czartoryski Museum in Krakow there is a kontusz, from this
      time frame, that shows wear patterns typical of being worn under
      armour. It is a creamy-beige color. It is also padded and quilted.
      I'll have to find my notes and look at my photos this weekend, then I
      can describe the jacket better.
      Rembrandt's 'The Polish Rider' also shows a padded and quilted
      gambeson-like kontusz in light green. I can't tell what the buttons
      are in this painting, but the extant garments I saw while in Poland
      had various types, i.e. metal, bone, mother-of-pearl, and knotted
      cord.
      For a fighting tunic I would suggest something soft, such as the
      knotted cord, or low profile without stems. A 1" disc of thick
      leather would also work. This is so that if the armour is struck,
      the button will not be driven into you.
      Landolf