Recommendations Needed

  • BanAvtai@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2001
      Hello everyone.

      I'm looking for a place to start, books to read, websites to visit, to research a female Russian persona in the roughly 11th century. I'm leaning toward Novgorad as my home.

      I'm spending a small fortune on books that are fascinating but are leaving me mush brained with information that doesn't pertain to my period of time.

      I read the discussions on this list, for example, about kokoshniks and when they were period, the way the shapes denote region and time, and wonder where in the world you all found that information.

      I'm just a moderate income, middle-aged, working stiff with no affiliation to any university, so I have to rely on chain bookstores and small neighborhood libraries (the kind where the mere mention of ILL sends a chill down the spine of the librarian).

      Help anyone?

      Juliana
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 11, 2001
        Juliana wrote:

        >I'm looking for a place to start, books to read, websites to visit, to
        >research a female Russian persona in the roughly 11th century. I'm leaning
        >toward Novgorad as my home.

        You might want to start with the Russian Knowledge Page
        <http://medievalrussia.freeservers.com>. There are some Novgorod-specific
        articles there and links to other information. On the main SIG page
        <http://slavic.freeservers.com> you will find an extensive bibliography of
        good souces to try out.

        >I read the discussions on this list, for example, about kokoshniks and when
        >they were period, the way the shapes denote region and time, and wonder
        >where in the world you all found that information.

        Most of the English-language information that we have about regional styles
        of kokoshniks is 19th century and early 20th century. One of the most-used
        sources on the subject is Charles Holme's "Folk Art of Russia." In fact, I
        believe this is the main source that Sofya la Rus used on her website
        <http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kokoshniki.html> (she couldn't
        remember, but I recognize the poses). Some of the List-members have been
        translating Russian sources about kokoshniks, but other than their hard
        work, you won't find many other English sources.

        --Yana