tent repairs on stress points

  • ssaucer@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2001
      > From: "Lente" <lente@...>
      > Subject: tent repairs on stress points

      Well, here's my opinion. I would stick to the original fabric, if
      possible, or marine canvas. Even heavy weight denim really does have
      quite a bit of stretch.

      The torn area should be stitched together, if possible, before adding
      reinforcing patches.

      I am not familiar with "barge glue". You have to consider how stiff the
      glue would make the patch, because it will add a stress point to the
      fabric where the glue stops.

      The patches should not only be stitched all the way around, but there
      should be diagonal stitching from corner to corner (fornimg an X.) You
      will need to adjust the X placement to allow for the grommet. Your
      objective is to spread the stress out, without weakening the fabric. with
      an excess of holes from the stitching.

      When applying the grommets, make the smallest hole possible, and use an
      awl or several different sizes of phillips head screw drivers to stretch
      it large enough for the gormmet to squeeze in.

      Good luck
      Ilijana Krakowska