Spring Slovo Available

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7, 2001
      Greetings Slavic Interest Group List!

      Just a quick note to let you all know that the Spring Slovo is now
      available on the website. The URL is:

      <http://slavic.freeservers.com>

      -- Paul Wickenden, on Yana's account
    • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9, 2001
        A few notes on the "bozolban" article:

        First off, when I see the name of this armour in print it is spelled
        "bazuband" or some variation of that. The word is Persian, and this armor
        is not referred to by that name in Russian armour books -- the Russian term,
        both period and modern, is "nAruch" (emphasis on a). Of course the trouble
        with the term is that it applies to all vambraces, point or no point.

        If you are interested in more historical details about this armor, I suggest
        looking at this webpage: http://www.geocities.com/normlaw/page10.html .

        As for SCA use: Lord Mordack correctly points out the problem of covering
        the elbow points with this armour. While the wingless elbow cop method he
        suggests is certainly feasible, and happens to be exactly what I do myself
        at the moment, I believe this is not the optimum solution. Two methods that
        seem better to me, though perhaps harder to implement, are to modify the
        design to be deeper and provide the necessary protection. The above website
        has a photo of such naruchi; another excellent design, although more heavly
        modified, can be seen on this catalog webpage from White Muntain Armory:
        http://www.thegreenman.net/wma/wmaarms.htm * The second solution is to wear
        a wingless elbow cop with the lowest profile ossible (fit it well to your
        padding and elbow while making it), or perhaps even a modern plastic elbow
        cop -- not something I would do, but reasonable -- and wear it UNDER your
        fighting garments to hide it.

        A note on materials: As we all know, aluminum is not a period material,
        altohugh certainly economical. The legal way to get street-sign aluminum is
        not to take down your local stop sign** (please don't!!), of course, but
        rather to contact your local roadworks department. Be nice to them, show
        them why you need the signs (bring pictures, perhaps some armour you already
        have), and most likely they will be happy to unload their old signs to you.
        Altohugh I do little steel-work myself, from what I understand it is
        actually harder to work with aluminum than with mild steel, for it can crack
        at the most inopportune moment, and stands up badly to dishing. Mild steel
        can be purchased from a local scrap yard or sheet metal shop fairly cheaply,
        or, if you are unable to locate one, at a hardware store for a bit more
        money (look for welding materials -- small sheets of steel are usually found
        there. You won't need more than 2 unless you screw up one of them :).
        For padding, using sheepskin, or, if that is too expensive, felt (think
        moving blankets) gets you much more period look than closed cell foam.

        Thanks to Lord Mordack for writing the article!

        -Dmitriy Shelomianin

        * I am not affiliated with either Silk Road Designs Armoury or White
        Mountain armoury. I and Norman Finkelsteyn, the proprietor of Silk Road
        Designs, are co-founders of the Red Kaganate, a nomad reenactment group).

        ** Not to impy that this is what the author of the article suggested -- he
        just mentioned that he would never advocate their use, and it might be
        unlear to a reader if this is because of the unperiodness of the material or
        the illegal nature of acquiring them off the intersection.
      • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 9, 2001
          >From: "Dmitriy V. Ryaboy" <dvryaboy@...>

          >Altohugh

          Yes, I do know how to spell although. My fingers are just too fast and
          inaccurate.

          Dmirtiy (<-- see?!! And that is my own name, mundane, too!)
        • Paul W Goldschmidt
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 10, 2005
            Greetings Slavic Interest Group!

            The Spring Slovo is now available on the website. The URL is:

            http://slavic.freeservers.com

            Enjoy!

            Paul Wickenden
          • Tracy Kremer
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
              > The Spring Slovo is now available on the website.
              > Enjoy!
              >
              > Paul Wickenden

              I did enjoy that! Thank you folks for writing those
              articles; the first will help me with my herbology
              interests (and gave me a nice little flashback to my
              years as a bio student), the second I just plain
              enjoyed, and look forward to the follow-up, and the
              third has inspired me to improve on the appearances of
              some of my camp furniture at the best time of year to
              do so! (It really does take little to improve on such
              things... and they last so long.)

              Eluned

              CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and all lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold.

              for good webcomics! http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

              Make Yahoo! your home page
              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • MoxFool@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
                Great edition!

                Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski, Assistant Midrealm Rapier Website Librarian,
                Middle Kingdom, Barony of the Northwoods, Shire of Talonval
                Student of THL Albyn Buckthorne, C.B.R.,
                My homepage: http://members.aol.com/moxfool/zygmunt.html
                "Winning at all costs, costs everything" - Earl Sir Ædward Stædefæste of
                Lochac

              • Paul W Goldschmidt
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007
                  Greetings SIG:

                  The Spring issue of Slovo is now available at the SIG website.

                  Regards,

                  Paul Wickenden (for SIG)
                • Paul W Goldschmidt

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
                      Greetings SIG:

                      The Spring issue of Slovo is now available at the SIG website.
                      I hope to see many of you at the University this weekend!

                      Regards,

                      Paul Wickenden (for SIG)
                    • jpkowal@mts.net
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 5, 2010
                        You all have a great weekend I have a prior commitment at Northshield Coronation. I am looking forward to an event review. Safe travels.
                        AVL