Novgorod v Kiev in western encyclopedia

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2001
      Came across this, which raises an excellent point (IMHO)...
      From Z. Smetanka's forthcoming review in the Czech journal "Archeologicke
      rozhledy" (the "Archaeological Review") of P. Crabtree's "Medieval
      Archaeology - an Encylcopedia"...

      [quote]

      The geographical extent of the encyclopedia is defined as the "Latin west,
      stretching from Poland to Iceland and from southern Italy to northern
      Scandinavia". These limits are exceeded to the east by the isolated
      inclusion of Novgorod, which is justified by the importance, and we can
      assume significance, of research there, about which there can be no doubt. A
      further contribution to the exceptional inclusion of Novgorod was probably
      the fact that the archaeology of this locality is available in an English
      monograph (Yanin V. L. et al., Archaeology of Novgorod - Russia, Lincoln:
      Society of Medieval Archaeology 1992, Monograph Series 13), as well as in an
      earlier publicaction written by M. W. Thompson (Novgorod the Great, London
      1967), while for example for the no less important Kiev (centre of the early
      Russian state from the mid-9th to first half of the 13th centuries; the
      problem of the significance and influence of the Varangian ethnic group on
      the link from Scandinavia via Kiev to Byzantium and the Orient; a site also
      lying in an important position at the junction of the trade routes linking
      Scandinavia as well as Western and Central Europe to the lands in the East)
      no such exception is made; one must ask whether this is because there is no
      good, informative publication in English of the sort avaialble for Novgorod.

      [unquote]

      Cheers!

      A.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2001
        I am translating as fast as I can! Seesh!
        <grin>

        -Dmitriy Shelomianin