Life in 8th/9th c. Bohemia - Part I

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 12:36 PM
      As some people may remember, I do quite a lot of work with the City of
      Prague Museum. Most of the stuff I deal with is either too recent or much to
      early to be appropriate here, but some panels for the new permanent
      exhibition being set up at the moment might be interesting. When the whole
      text (about 15 pages) is ready, I'll gladly send it to anyone interested. In
      the meantime, some of the less site-specific material I'll post to the list.
      So here we go...

      [quote]
      HOW DID THEY LIVE?

      During the 8th and 9th centuries, the Slavs in the Prague Basin established
      their colonies close to watercourses, on agriculturally favourable sites,
      and built well-fortified enclosures on naturally defensible spurs at S'arka,
      Butovice, Bohnice-Zamka and nearby at Levy Hradec (Roztoky).

      Fig.4/1 Agricultural colonies preserved the traits of an earlier time: they
      comprised square or rectangular dwellings, 5-20m2 in area, which were
      sunken or free-standing. Their walls, supported by posts, were of wattle and
      daub, or were timber, made of rough logs or split trunks. These dwellings
      were generally covered by a ridge roof with straw or reed thatch.

      [snip]

      Fig.4/6 Pr'emysl the Ploughman, from the 12th century frescoes of the Znojmo
      rotunda.
      The Slavs were above all farmers. They cultivated wheat, millet, rye, oats
      and peas, as well fruit, especially well-known varieties of plum, apple and
      pears. They tilled square or rectangular fields, as is indicated for example
      by the traces of cross ploughing found at Klárov. They also collected wild
      fruit and nuts, especially hazelnuts. In the forests and meadows they kept
      beef cattle and pigs, as well as rearing sheep, goats, chickens and geese.
      To a lesser extent they also hunted wild animals, fished, and practiced
      beekeeping. They had horses of a small, fast, steppe type, and kept dogs in
      their settlements.

      [unquote]

      More over the next day or two ;-)

      A.

      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)
    • regular reg
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4 3:15 PM
        Alastair,

        I was referring to this part;

        "When the whole
        >text (about 15 pages) is ready, I'll gladly send it to anyone interested. "

        So, whenever you are ready. Thanks.

        G.G.