Re: [sig] Riding slit

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2001
      >2) How would you add a back slit for riding that doesn't hang funny. I
      >am planning on trying a rectangular pattern and the pics I've seen don't
      >mention this.

      Hmmm, do you mean "hang funny" at the apex of the cut? Are you asking how
      to bind off the raw edges so that the point lays flat? Am I making any sense?

      --Yana
    • Diane S. Sawyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2001
        --- Robert Parker <parkrobe@...> wrote:
        > First off, thank you all very much. Ok, I am planning on doing a
        > Polish
        > Hussar's coat with a Rectangular pattern as per all the sites I
        > have
        > seen posted on the internet. I will cut the rectangle (front &
        > back all
        > one piece), cut 4 (right?) trinagle gussets, slit the front for the
        > opening, cut the neck hole, and slit the back for a riding slit.
        > If I
        > cut the slit, instead of using a 2 piece back, then when I sew the
        > hem
        > on each side of the slit, I will have a gap from missing fabric and
        > it
        > won't hang right (IMHO). I guess I could use bias tape or some
        > such. I
        > figure this is probably the answer to keep the edges the same. If
        > anybody has a better idea for anything I have mentioned, I would be
        > very
        > grateful.
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Sergei

        Yeah, this is an approach. I've always found turning bias tape at
        the apex of the slit difficult, but I'm sure you'll figure something
        out. Another approach (and one that might actually save fabric,
        depending on how you cut) is to do a center back seam. That'll solve
        the issues with it hanging oddly.

        You do want right triangles for the gussets; make sure to cut them
        bigger than you think you'll need, because you'll want to allow for
        seam allowance on all three sides.

        Also, cut the neck opening *before* you slit the front; it'll be
        easier to handle. In fact, if you're finishing the neck with a
        facing, you can stitch that to the place where you want the neckline
        first, then cut inside the stitching. That way you can stitch where
        you want the neckline to fall and not worry about allowing for seam
        allowance.

        How are you closing the front? That might make a difference on how
        you finish it. You might have to add a bit to get a good-looking
        overlap.

        I find bias tape and quilt binding invaluable for finishing raw edges
        and trimming garb. Also, if your fabric has a tendency to ravel,
        zigzag stitch along the edges. That'll keep it from coming apart
        before you get the garment finished. (I'm using rayon for a court
        outfit, and it was coming apart in my hands until I zigzagged it.)

        That's about all I can think of at the moment. Let me know if you
        have any other questions.

        Tasha

      • Robert Parker