music question (fwd)

  • Jeff Heilveil
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 1999
      Salut! The message before was sent to me a while ago, however other than
      point her to Musica Russica I couldn't really help much. I Was wondering
      if other gentles on the list might be able to provide assistance.

      Cu drag,
      Bogdan

      ---------
      From: Carey B. Gorla <AgnesVF@...>
      To: heilveil@...
      Subject: music question

      Hi my name is Lady Agnes von Frunsberg, mka Carey Gorla.
      <snip>
      The instrumental group that I'm in is interested in any period
      Russian music which we can find although preferable anything which
      originates on or around 1500. Yule court for our barony this year has a
      theme of 1500 Russian so we thought it would be nice if we could find
      anything to go with the theme. It doesn't necessarily have to be Russian
      but perhaps something from a nearby country. It doesn't matter how many
      parts are in the music we're just looking for something so we can get
      started making sure we have enough people and have time to practice. All
      we need is all the information we would need to be able to order it. Any
      info you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
      Lady Agnes von Frunsberg
    • MHoll@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 1999
        Except for religious music (all vocal), I don't think any scores (readable
        ones, that is) exist for our period.

        I believe that the *real*, *traditional* folk music (songs) is period. It is
        an informed guess on my part, but it seems to follow other patterns of
        Russian folklore.

        How do you know whether it's the "real, traditional, old" stuff? First, you
        can look at early-19th or even pre-19th cent. collections of folk songs.
        Second, any evenly rhymed and readably rhythmic lyrics are later creations,
        or not folk at all. (Such as the all-popular, and I like it too, so there,
        "Korobushka": 19th cent. lyrics by a well-known poet, late-19th cent. music).

        Predslava
        PS: I'll be off the list for about 2 weeks. See you (read you?!?) later!
        P.V.
      • Elizabeth Lear
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 1999
          The only really documentably period Russian music is religious vocal
          music. I have several pieces from c.1610 that I can provide copies
          of. It's correct that there's a lot of vocal folk music dating from
          period, but it's not possible to firmly document and date it - you
          have to rely on the style and the theme as mentioned previously.
          Music prior to the 16th C was written in a neume-like notation, and
          only church music was translated into western notation when it became
          popular to use that instead. Folk music was mostly documented in the
          19th C, but the musical style was so complex that it's not even
          accurately notated - women who sang together couldn't sing their lines
          without the other parts, and western notation simply doesn't have all
          of the concepts used in Russian music.

          Period intrumental music was largely drums and trumpets until the 15th
          C when stringed intruments came into use. mostly played by Skomorokhi.
          They enjoyed great popularity until the mid 1600s when the instruments
          were literally burned on the banks of the river and the minstrels
          scattered to the winds.

          I have much more info in the lecture notes of my 2-hour class on
          period Russian music and the article/class on the Skomorokhi,
          available on my web site: http://indra.com/~eliz/SCA/articles.html

          -Yelizaveta