Re: [sig] Medieval Russian Ornament book

  • Mstislav Novgorodskii
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 19, 2001
      Lente sez:
      > > _Medieval Russian Ornament in Full Color: From Illuminated
      > Manuscripts_
      > > by Moscow Museum of Art and Industry
      >
      > > Is this going to be helpful for anybody?

      Greetings:

      Sounds like several folk have found this book to be quite helpful.  I'll look it up and add it to my small but growing library!

      I found a set of books at Estrella War this year that I couldn't pass up.  It's title in English is "Kievan Psalter."  It's a full-color, full-size photo-reproduction of the Kievan Psalter of 1397.  The books (one with the plates, one with explanatory text, mostly in Russian but with some English) were published in Moscow in 1978.

      Anyone familiar with this set?  Found it useful?  Are there others like it, or similar in the vein of our current discussion -- calligraphy and illumination?

      Mstislav