Re: [sig] Russian name help Part II

  • Robert J Welenc
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8, 2001
      At 05:51 PM 3/8/01 -0600, you wrote:

      >> Russian names are *easy*, compared to Gaelic[1]!
      >> [1] Try "mac Mathghamhana".
      >
      >Ouch. I haven't a clue as to how to pronounce that one.

      Well, 'h' usually means 'backspace&delete' (except when it
      doesn't...) So you take out 'th', 'gh', and 'mh', leaving you with
      'mac Maaana' (look, a Hawaiian Irishman!) anglicized as 'mac Mahon'
      and pronounced 'mac Man'.

      >name anglicized as "MacLean".

      'mac Giolla Eain'

      See what I mean? And to drag it back to Russian and on topic,
      transliterations from Cyrillic don't muck about with letters that may
      or may not be pronounced depending on which other letters they follow
      or precede!

      Alanna
      ***********
      Saying of the day: When I'm finally holding all the cards, why does
      everyone decide to play chess?
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 13, 2001
        In a message dated 3/8/2001 11:34:06 AM Central Standard Time,
        rjwelenc@... writes:

        Russian names are *easy*, compared to Gaelic[1]!

        True. As far as figuring out the basics. But then...

        We've trained two

        different baronies how to pronounce "Ivan" -- now when someone calls
        my husband AYE-van, everyone in hearing choruses "That's ee-VAHN!"

        Hopefully, my students will do the same thing. I'm fantasising about hordes
        of Russian majors and minors yelling at the CNN anchors: "That's ee-VAHN" and
        "That's vlah-DEE-meer".

        *****************************
        Predslava Vydrina
        Per fess embattled azure and gules, two otters passant or.
        Russian History Trivia Page
        (http://members.aol.com/Predslava/RussianHistoryTriviaPage.html)
      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 13, 2001
          In a message dated 3/8/2001 6:25:00 PM Central Standard Time, rem@...
          writes:

          Mstislav
          pulling head back into shell now

          Hey, if you can't get your head out of the shell on this list, where else?

          Predslava.