Re: [sig] Russian name help Part II

  • Mstislav Novgorodskii
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8, 2001
      Never mind -- it was JUST a question. My desire to learn does NOT
      translate into a desire to change "all poor heralds," and I certainly
      don't want to "lecture" ANYone!

      Mstislav
      pulling head back into shell now

      MHoll@... wrote:

      > The reasons why I don't address the reduction of vowels according to
      > the
      > distance from the stressed syllable are:
      >
      > ... If you want to be historically quite
      > correct, you would need to do an extensive linguistic study of period
      > sources. I'm not up to it.
      >
      > ... 3.) It takes too long to explain the whole system, and the
      > explanation would
      > have to be reposted every few days.
      >
      > ... 5.) Do you want to give all poor heralds a 20mn lecture on how to
      > pronounce
      > Russian names, or would you rather they pronounced it semi-correctly,
      > without
      > a long "i" in Ivan (ee-VAHN, *NOT* "AYE-van")?
      >
      > 6) I'm too lazy to go the complicated route.
      >
      > Predslava.

    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 8, 2001
        > Russian names are *easy*, compared to Gaelic[1]! We've trained two
        > different baronies how to pronounce "Ivan" -- now when someone calls
        > my husband AYE-van, everyone in hearing choruses "That's ee-VAHN!"
        >
        > [1] Try "mac Mathghamhana".
        >
        > Alanna
        > ***********

        Ouch. I haven't a clue as to how to pronounce that one. Heck, in some of the
        names the prefix knocks the whole first syllable of the name out of the
        pronunciation or something to that effect--i.e, the original spelling of the
        name anglicized as "MacLean".
        Or do I have the wrong name?? :-) I mundanely have MacLeans in my ancestry,
        so it's entirely possible that I've just got that name on the brain.

        Isabelle
        patricia.hefner@...
        http://scholar76.tripod.com/castle2/
      • Robert J Welenc
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2001
          At 05:51 PM 3/8/01 -0600, you wrote:

          >> Russian names are *easy*, compared to Gaelic[1]!
          >> [1] Try "mac Mathghamhana".
          >
          >Ouch. I haven't a clue as to how to pronounce that one.

          Well, 'h' usually means 'backspace&delete' (except when it
          doesn't...) So you take out 'th', 'gh', and 'mh', leaving you with
          'mac Maaana' (look, a Hawaiian Irishman!) anglicized as 'mac Mahon'
          and pronounced 'mac Man'.

          >name anglicized as "MacLean".

          'mac Giolla Eain'

          See what I mean? And to drag it back to Russian and on topic,
          transliterations from Cyrillic don't muck about with letters that may
          or may not be pronounced depending on which other letters they follow
          or precede!

          Alanna
          ***********
          Saying of the day: When I'm finally holding all the cards, why does
          everyone decide to play chess?
        • MHoll@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 13, 2001
            In a message dated 3/8/2001 11:34:06 AM Central Standard Time,
            rjwelenc@... writes:

            Russian names are *easy*, compared to Gaelic[1]!

            True. As far as figuring out the basics. But then...

            We've trained two

            different baronies how to pronounce "Ivan" -- now when someone calls
            my husband AYE-van, everyone in hearing choruses "That's ee-VAHN!"

            Hopefully, my students will do the same thing. I'm fantasising about hordes
            of Russian majors and minors yelling at the CNN anchors: "That's ee-VAHN" and
            "That's vlah-DEE-meer".

            *****************************
            Predslava Vydrina
            Per fess embattled azure and gules, two otters passant or.
            Russian History Trivia Page
            (http://members.aol.com/Predslava/RussianHistoryTriviaPage.html)
          • MHoll@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 13, 2001
              In a message dated 3/8/2001 6:25:00 PM Central Standard Time, rem@...
              writes:

              Mstislav
              pulling head back into shell now

              Hey, if you can't get your head out of the shell on this list, where else?

              Predslava.