RE: [sig] Period Veggies

  • Art Plazewski
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8 12:47 PM
      To all Poles known as "wloszczyzna" ( cabbage , leek , onion ,carrot ,
      parsley root)... ;-)
      Art.
      PS
      Wlochy - means Italy in Polish.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8 1:14 PM
        > To all Poles known as "wloszczyzna" ( cabbage , leek , onion ,carrot ,
        > parsley root)... ;-)
        > Art.
        > PS
        > Wlochy - means Italy in Polish.

        Interesting! Though other sources suggest that those veggies were known in
        Poland before Bona Sforza, and it was certain other green leafy vegetables
        that were originally imported and referred to by those terms, but the
        term's meaning -- doesn't it roughly mean 'soup greens'? -- got changed
        over time as the contents of soups changed? Italian soups of period seemed
        to be big on stewed and chopped gree vegetable puree...

        "Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."
      • Art Plazewski
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8 1:19 PM
          That's right - it means soup greens - it is a common term - "go get some
          wloszczyzna" - and anybody knows what to get (in Poland).
          Although all those veggies were known before Bona , it is possible that her
          court popularized their use together...( my speculation ).
          Art.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9 2:43 PM
            My deepest appreciation to all those kind gentles who took the time to reply to my question.

            I have much to learn,

            Juliana